Insulating dryer duct?

I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when the dryer is not in use.
Part of the problem may be due to the fact that their is no louver on the exterior penetration (it goes through a window pane that has been replaced with a sheet metal panel with integrated, un-louvered hood).
So, 2 questions: 1. Should the dryer duct be insulated and if so with what product? 2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to make a significant difference (and be advisable)?
Interestingly, the intake/exhaust pipes on our high efficiency furnaces don't seem to "radiate" as much cold despite also being unlouvered -- probably because they are PVC rather than metal and also smaller diameter.

Maybe, but that's not as important as 2)

Yes, if you do the following: Louvers are to keep out the weather. In addition your vent must have a self closing flap such as are used on range hoods. Further, you will gain something by insulating the metal panel in the window. Do all that and you likely save a few $$.
Joe
-snip-

Yes! I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with how well they work- (Amazon.com product link shortened)63495676&sr=8-1
Jim

How do you clean them?
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:28:19 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor

The lid is hinged & you can get to the guts.
Jim

Looks like a neat contraption... but my vent is through a basement window pane (actually the window is 3x1 and one of the panes has been replaced with sheet metal containing an integrated vent).
Not sure how/if this would be installed in a window without some customization...

I also using one of these. Works great and easy to clean IF needed. WW

Thats what I have, I know of no other system like it.
blueman wrote:

Without a doubt add a louvered exhaust or other kind of back flow preventer.
Insulating the pipe will mean the the pipe will get much warmer when the dryer is running. This is good. It will tend to keep the pipe/duct void of condensation and the lint won't stick to it as easy.

Any suggestions on type of insulation? (safe, effective, professional looking)
blueman wrote:

I'm not sure what to suggest, I'd have to scan the insulation isle at the depot and lowes. I'm wondering if it would do good inside an insulated flexible AC/Heating duct, although I doubt it's code. You could probably put it inside 6" duct.

If needed you can use flex duct casing or fiberglass. Mine was very cold, but temperatures are now 10-20 warmer.

You might want to try another exterior dryer vent. The flaps will slow down the cold air movement, yet light enough to allow easy airflow.

blueman wrote:

You could just leave it alone. Without a flap, eventually some critter will make a nest in the duct, effectively sealing it against further air intrusion.