insulating blanket for power vented hot water heater?

Getting conflicting info on whether it's safe to use a hot water heater insulation blanket on a GAS hot water heater with power venting. If you wrap only the sides, and follow the instructions to not obstruct any of the openings, nor put it near where the flame is or on the top, how is it a fire hazard?

I've got one on my and have had problem one. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine...
My 2c,
Matty

and
Oops, that should be "I haven't" not "have"....
My 2c,
Matty

Actually, you need to check with the manufacturer of the water heater, especially if it's still under warranty. Some of the newer water heaters tell you NOT to use an insulating blanket, and will void your warranty (if the manufacturer finds out)
If you do it right its not a fire hazard.
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:33:54 -0600, Barb Grajewski

Probably isn't. The problem is that the manual may say not to do it. Frankly, considering how well insolated most newer heaters are, I wouldn't bother.