Insulating basement sill plate/header?

Hi. I'm considering adding insulation to my basement's sill plate and header (immediately above the concrete block and below the 1st floor's subfloor). I've read plenty of posts and books that suggest I use spray foam or rigid/extruded polystyrene sheets. The problem I see is that many (a little less than 1/2) of the "bays" between floor joists have baseboard heat water pipes going up to the first and second floor. The pipes are *right* against the header and therefore there's no way I could add insulation between those pipes and the header. The header looks to be a 2x10, and there's sheathing and aluminum siding beyond that. No exterior insulation. My question is, if I insulate those bays, will I increase the risk of having one of those baseboard pipes freeze? Insulating those bays will pretty much seal off the pipe from the "warmth" of the basement. Anyone encounter the same situation? Thanks Theodore.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:54:41 -0800 (PST), millinghill

We did my daughter's basement, installing Styrofoam SM panels and rock-wool insulation except for the bay that had water pipes in it - which we left un-insulated to prevent higher risk of water freezing.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 15, 12:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I would not insulate any sections wehere there are pipes, even if they ccarry hot water. Not worth the risk. If you could slide even a thin piece of insulation between the pipes and the outside, I would do that.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/15/2010 1:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Correct- you do NOT want any water pipes on the outside of the insulated envelope. I've known a few people that have been burned like that. Insulate as best you can in those bays- maybe a chunk of that foil-faced thin insulation board if there is any room at all, or a sheet of metal or foil against the header, and caulk the heck out of any air leaks. That was sloppy work on the HVAC crew's part- the pipes should have been held in a couple of inches.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖