insulating basement ceiling

when insulating a basement ceiling which side should the vapor barrier be on. facing down to basement or facing up towards living space? and why?

Reply to
mikee

Paper/Vapor barrier always faces the warm area.

Reply to
Brian V

I am facing, no pun intended, the same problem of planning out the insulation of an unfinished basement ceiling. I was told, the direction of the vapor barrior should always point to the warm side. Since my basement is unfinished, and unheated, I believe my vapor barrier must face up.

Now I've been told using unfaced is ok, since there isn't an envelope between the basement and the first floor. The door isn't an exerior door with weather strips, so the importance of a vapor barrior is not needed.

Just passing on what I've been told.

Tom @

Just Joshin