Insulating a roof with no crawl space

Posted the following elsewhere and got no response...
Just bought a home built in 1950. The roof I suspect has minimal insulation. To make the ceilings high, the builder has put in no crawl space and the rafters are visible from inside the house.
The house is only around 1000 sq.ft. It is in San Jose California.
I looked at the archives of this usenet group, and found discussions on using foam blocks under the composite shingles. This seems fine but it seems like it is like building a new roof, which could be expensive.
I am thinking of the following alternatives:
- Add foam from within in between the rafters and blend them with the architecture. - Erect an awning (maybe I should call this a tent) that will cover all of the roof for the hot summer months. - Put solar panels. They would not only make shade put also generate electricity for me. However, I hear that solar panels and convertors etc. can be very expensive. - Or, put a solar water heating system.
How would one insulate such a roof?
Thanks!
Deguza

If you happen to need a roof, that is probably the best way to go. You can buy foam laminated to osb for roofing.

Second best.
Kompu Kid wrote:

I heard and seen a polymer foam sprayed right on top of shingles, its like that expanding foam used to fill cracks. Sprayed about 4" thick.Not sure how it would hold up though. Ultra Violet rays break down polymer. Might check into it though.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"