Insulating a fridge in the garage?

I have a fridge in my unheated garage that seemed to break on me last year, but I postponed getting fixed when it mysteriously started keeping things cool again. It wasn't until I read last month's Consumer Reports that I was aware that the changing temperature in the garage had an effect on the refrigerator's performance.

Now that I know this, is it possible to insulate the fridge? If so, what's the best way to do it? I didn't know if simply putting some sort of insulated wrap over the coils is recommended, or even safe.

TIA!

Reply to
Doobie

It is not the coils that must be insulated. You have to keep the interior warm enough for the compressor to operate. Yes, I did say warm enough. If the inside of the fridge senses a low temperature, the compressor will not kick on. Thus, the freezer portion will never get cold enough and things will melt. If the garage get too cold, the refrigerator portion will freeze also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As Ed said. An unheated space is a poor spot for a frig. Most are designed to work in room temperatures and will not function properly when outside that range.

You can not insulate the coils as they must have free access to do there job and you can damage it if you try.

Either quit using it during hot or cold times of the year, or move it inside, or buy one designed to work under those conditions. be ready to pay extra.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan