Insulating a floor?

My house is a front to back split, so under the front third of the house is a basement of sorts ... a concrete room maybe

4 feet high. I'm sure there is a name for that.

The floor above that space gets cold. Every year I say I'm going to insulate it, and yet, here we are.

My question is this. What type of insulation would you recommend? I was thinking some kind of spray. Is between the joist batting, or that styrofoam product a better idea?

Whatever choice, I'm going to have someone come in and do it, so my skills (lack thereof) don't come into it.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Lots of choices. Is the a usable space? If it is more of a crawlspace, you can use fiberglass bats between the joists, you can use sheets of foam cut to size, or you can have it sprayed. The spray will give the best sealant from air infiltration and is quick and easy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Any of the above would work. The spray is a good option technically, as it also blocks air movement. Styrofoam is easy to work with. Around here at least both are significantly more expensive than fiberglass or mineral wool batts.

You didn't say where you live, but different areas have different requirements for vapour barrier.

If you're going to be getting a building permit for the work then you should be able to ask the building inspector what would be suitable.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Not at all. I have to move the washing machine to get to the 'door'.

Quick and easy, that appeals to me. I'll call someone to do that.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

"Chris Friesen" wrote

Hmmm. I don't know anything about that. I'll look for information on that. Thanks very much.

I hadn't planned on it, truth be told.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Dont bother with permit. Spray foam is good becuse it resists moisture and mold.. Will provide great insulation at joist thickness

n Jun 21, 12:14 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Reply to
bigjim

wrote

Thanks very much. I believe we have a winner. It's not that much of an area, maybe 40 by 12, something like that.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

You might be able to do it yourself...

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

"Rick Blaine" wrote

Interesting, I'm really interested in that no-fume type of material. Thanks very much.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Hmmm. Perhaps it was a station on the Underground Railway.

Reply to
mm