Insulating a fireplace stack

I probably have the terminolgy wrong. I have a fireplace that has a metal stack/exaust encased in paneling The fireplace stack isnt insulated very well. When prying back the wood surround/paneling there is at least 8" from the paneling to the stack. There is a healthy draft comming from the paneling when pulled back.
First, can this are be instulated? or is it a fire hazard since it would be touching a very hot metal stack.
Second, if it can be insulated, where do I come by non-flamable blown instulation.
Hopefully it makes sence...
c_kubie
I am assuming this is a prefab fireplace. If so, most require a 2" air space that cannot have insulation placed. Most air infiltration is between the fireplace and profile. Check for air currents with a smoke producing object, like incense or cigarette.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com /