insulating a crawl space with air handler

There is so much information about the subject of insulating a crawl space, i've done a lot of searching and have come up with the basic ideas of what I need to do.
I have a crawl space, with attached basement (a small 3x5 opening). The only way into the area is from a small outside door into the basement.
I've gathered that I should be insulating the walls of my crawlspace, laying down a protective barrier, and sealing everything off. I have an airhandler/ductwork inside the crawlspace and a water heater in the basement. Do I need to do anything else? should I be worried about the air handler down in the crawl space?
Actually, you should be concerned about combustion air. If your water heater is located in the basement, and you 'seal it off' from the rest of the area, you could be creating a hazardous condition. Call your local plumber or HVAC company, and ask a few questions. Pay a small service fee and have them come out to look at what you are proposing. The service fee is a small price to pay for your family's safety.
--
Zyp