Insulated Fan Duct

I have been hunting for 4" flexible insulated duct for my bathroom exhaust fan. None of the home centers carry them insulated, only bare aluminum. Anyone know if there is a source from these or should I just insulate it myself?

TIA, -Mike Bittel

Reply to
Mike Bittel

If you're concerned about hot or cold air coming in from the outside, the bathroom fan is supposed to have a flapper on the exhaust thing to block the flow. Insulate yourself if you must.

-B

Why are you trying to insulate it?

RB

Mike Bittel wrote:

Reply to
RB

Why would you want it >

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Probably to prevent (or reduce) condensation, which could then run back down the ducting into the fan assembly.

Reply to
Robert Barr

Reply to
Art Todesco

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net:

The theory I've heard is that if you keep the air hot until it's outside, you cut down on condensation problems inside the duct...

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

Just for the record, if the run from the fan to the outside if more 14 feet or more, code is that the duct be hard metal, not flex. IF you are going to insulate it, you will need R5-R6 duct wrap, and it only comes in a 75 foot long, 5 foot wide roll.....thats alot of duct wrap for a bathroom vent.

Reply to
CBhvac

Home Depot carries flexible insulated 4" duct. At the local one it's up high where you need to strain to see it. It comes in a plain brown cardboard box about 8"x7"x36". No pretty pictures or anything.

And yes, it needs to be insulated in cold climes. Even so I've had water drip back out of the fan when it's really cold (and the run was < 6').

Rob S.

Reply to
Rob S

Hmm. Never had a problem with condensation. I think condenstation does form on the cap but then it runs off onto the roof. Never had anything drip down the pipe. Probably a lot of factors would enter into the drip or not drip down the pipe.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

i still would go with metal and wrap it. that insulated stuff will tear.

Reply to
dkarnes

5 feet wide?
Reply to
HeatMan

Thats the way I get it...its actually like 4'10..or some oddball number like that, but with the tape lip, its all but 5 feet wide..

Reply to
CBhvac

in

All we get is the Knauf(?) 4 foot wide stuff. I'll have to look into that...

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
HeatMan

wrote

NP..its Owens Corning..if you want, I can get you the mfg #...pop me a mail and I can send you the numbers and where to order it too, fairly cheaply.

Reply to
CBhvac

in

Snipped.....