Insulated Fan Duct

I have been hunting for 4" flexible insulated duct for my bathroom exhaust fan. None of the home centers carry them insulated, only bare aluminum. Anyone know if there is a source from these or should I just insulate it myself?
TIA, -Mike Bittel
If you're concerned about hot or cold air coming in from the outside, the bathroom fan is supposed to have a flapper on the exhaust thing to block the flow. Insulate yourself if you must. -B

Why are you trying to insulate it?
RB
Mike Bittel wrote:

RB wrote:

Probably to prevent (or reduce) condensation, which could then run back down the ducting into the fan assembly.

I bought some at Home Depot and yes, it is to reduce condensation when it is real code outside.
Robert Barr wrote:

Mike Bittel wrote:

Why would you want it insulated? But, you can buy flexible insulated ducting in various diameter, not sure if come is under 5" diameter at the BORGs.
Mike Bittel wrote:

The theory I've heard is that if you keep the air hot until it's outside, you cut down on condensation problems inside the duct...
NJBrad
Brad Bruce wrote:

Hmm. Never had a problem with condensation. I think condenstation does form on the cap but then it runs off onto the roof. Never had anything drip down the pipe. Probably a lot of factors would enter into the drip or not drip down the pipe.

Just for the record, if the run from the fan to the outside if more 14 feet or more, code is that the duct be hard metal, not flex. IF you are going to insulate it, you will need R5-R6 duct wrap, and it only comes in a 75 foot long, 5 foot wide roll.....thats alot of duct wrap for a bathroom vent.
message

5 feet wide?

Thats the way I get it...its actually like 4'10..or some oddball number like that, but with the tape lip, its all but 5 feet wide..

message

All we get is the Knauf(?) 4 foot wide stuff. I'll have to look into that...
Thanks for the info.

NP..its Owens Corning..if you want, I can get you the mfg #...pop me a mail and I can send you the numbers and where to order it too, fairly cheaply.
message

Mike Bittel wrote:

high where you need to strain to see it. It comes in a plain brown cardboard box about 8"x7"x36". No pretty pictures or anything.
And yes, it needs to be insulated in cold climes. Even so I've had water drip back out of the fan when it's really cold (and the run was < 6').
Rob S.
Rob S wrote:

i still would go with metal and wrap it. that insulated stuff will tear.