I recently bought a bank-owned, 3 BR, 1 bath semi-detached home that I am
going to be renting out. In my area, a "semi-detached home" means there are
two homes side by side, which share a common wall in the middle, but each
home has a separate owner. I own my side and someone else owns the attached
property next door.
The home has an unfinished walk-up third floor attic. The previous owner
had framed out the attic to create walls and a walk-in closet, but didn't do
any sheetrock, etc. The existing roof is asphalt shingle in poor condition
over a prior cedar shake roof. The roof doesn't leak, but my guess is that
it will need a new roof within a year or so.
A new roof will cost around $8,500 and it will involve a complete tear-off
of the asphalt shingles and cedar shakes, all new plywood decking, and then
the new asphalt shingle roof over the new plywood. I could either have the
new roof done now, or wait until later. My attached neighbor's roof is also
asphalt shingle over an old cedar shake roof and is in similar condition.
He does not want to have his roof done unless and until it starts to leak.
Ordinarily, I would just have my roof done now, but because the two homes
are attached, it would be better to do both roofs at the same time.
My question is about what the differences would be in terms of finishing off
the attic before or after I have a new roof put on.
If I have a new roof put on before finishing the attic, I would then have
the attic finished and would have insulation put in between the attic
rafters with proper venting etc. That would be easy to figure out.
But, if I decide to wait on the roof, and have the attic finished first, I
think I have two options:
1) finish the attic now, but do not do the insulation in the rafters for
now; then when the new roof is done in a year or so, have the insulation put
in from the top after the roof tear-off and before the new plywood decking
goes down; or,
2) finish the attic now, and do the insulation now; and then have the new
roof done later.
I am thinking that if I do the insulation now, when the tear-off is done for
the new roof later on, the debris will end up in the insulation and will be
a huge mess.
So, I guess my question is, "If I decide to do the roof later, and I finish
the attic now, do I go ahead and do the insulation now or wait on the
insulation until the new roof is done later on?"