Insulate an attic.

I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply to
Karen3678

I am not from that area so I don't know how homes like yours are typically constructed.

Is there any kind of access panel to at least let you see into the attic to see what's there -- maybe in a closet ceiling etc?

Or, could you create a small access panel somewhere?

Or, maybe ask your neighbors or at a nearby building supply place if they know how your style of home is typically insulated.

Reply to
TomR

You could make an access in the ceiling of a closet to look around at what's up there. Most houses I have known about that did not have an access into the attic fromthe house below had an access from a gable end, maybe behind a decorative panel or shuttters, or a fake window, etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann

just a guess, but adobe homes aren't insulated due to the large thermal mass. Letting the heat rise to the attic might well be helpful. As to the cooling...

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Common practice up here is to blow the loose-fill in through hole in roof, which is then closed with an attic vent. (which is required anyway). Best investment you can make in areas that require either heating or cooling.

Reply to
clare