Insualtion around window air conditioners?

I moved to an old house last summer. It has no central a/c, so we've used window air conditioners. Yesterday we put up one of the units. The cheaply made thingys on the sides that supposedly slide out and fill the gap between the unit and the side of the window are almost useless.

Can anyboy suggested an easy way to fill this spot and maybe provide a little insulation too?

Thanks, Susan

Reply to
sus5n.1ynn

5/8" Plywood.
Reply to
Dan C

I prefer 19/32"

Reply to
PhotoMan

The sides are not structural so you can use most any material. An inch of Styrofoam will work. A piece of hardboard or plywood will also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

used to use window units, used cardboard and ducttape to seal em up every year. easy to put up, easy to take down.. lucas

Reply to
ds549