Insualtion around window air conditioners?

I moved to an old house last summer. It has no central a/c, so we've used window air conditioners. Yesterday we put up one of the units. The cheaply made thingys on the sides that supposedly slide out and fill the gap between the unit and the side of the window are almost useless.
Can anyboy suggested an easy way to fill this spot and maybe provide a little insulation too?
Thanks, Susan
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:58:21 -0700, sus5n.1ynn wrote:

5/8" Plywood.
Linux Registered User #327951

I prefer 19/32"

The sides are not structural so you can use most any material. An inch of Styrofoam will work. A piece of hardboard or plywood will also.
used to use window units, used cardboard and ducttape to seal em up every year. easy to put up, easy to take down.. lucas