installing wood stove

I have a shop - 24x36 that has a simple gable roof of low slope.

It's finished and insulated.

There is a small built in AC unit in one corner of the wall towards towards the top. A custom opening has been created for this AC unit (it's window type unit, but the opening is not a window).

I was thinking I might be able to simply remove the AC unit and make a chimney fitting like this..

| _ _ | (passes through the opening used for the AC in summer | | (to stove)

I could set this up in the winter, and then switch back to the AC in the summer.

Thoughts?

The alternative is to cut another hole in my wall, or ceiling/roof.

Reply to
Kevin

I'm sure you can do it, but doing the changeover every year is going to be a PITA. I'd cut a hole and do it right, permanent, and structurally sound. As you put the stove pipe up and take it down you are bound to lose some integrity over time, or lose parts damage parts, etc. If you intend to use the shop for a number of years, the project becomes less fun every year you age. Do it right, do it once.

Watch those flammable chemicals in the shop too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A small shop that sprays in truck bed liners up te road from my house burnt up due to a wood stove and the chemicals being used.

Good advice.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If youi have insurance on the building be sure to contact your agent about a woodstove before proceeding. Some companies won't insure, others will cancel and if it causes a fire and they weren't notified, they won't pay.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K