Installing washing machine

Page 2 of 2
On 13 Feb 2004 15:22:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote:
:> :> I'm installing a washing machine (used Sears Model 15111, I don't know :> :> how old - maybe 10 -15 years) and was about to try to do my first wash :> :> however I think I may have a problem. Reading the instructions on the :> :> inside of this top-loader's door, I see a series of explanations of :> :> possible problems. Among them is one for the washer not filling :> :> entirely. It says it may do this if the drain hose isn't 34 inches above :> :> the floor. It's not. I just assumed that this thing would only put water :> :> out the drain hose when it was supposed to but now I figure that it will :> :> automatically drain if the end of the drain hose is below where you want :> :> your water level. :> :> :> :> The thing is that the laundry room's drain pipe isn't that high. It goes :> :> straight up and then turns 90 degrees at about 14 inches above the floor :> :> (the hole is about 3.5 inches in diameter and is pointing horizontally). :> :> I took the drain hose from the washer and twisted it about 360 degrees :> :> (to take up the slack) and jammed it (wedging it) into the drain pipe's :> :> elbow and figured it would drain fine when it was supposed to. I don't :> :> know what kind of washer it was designed for but I figure maybe it won't :> :> work with my Sears washer unless I take off that elbow and put on an :> :> extension so it's about 34 inches above the floor. I sure don't want to :> :> do my first load until it's likely to work OK. Thanks for any :> :> information. :> : :> :Hi, :> : :> :With a drain hose that low the water may syphone out and the washer :> :-may- never start as the incomming water may just go right out and :> :down the drain.... :> : :> :http://www.applianceaid.com/faq-washers.html#filling :> : :> :> Sears Model 15111 :> : :> :That may be a catalog #, Kenmore model#'s are more like 123.45678910 :> : :> :May not be exact to yours or all washers, but some install tips... :> : :> :http://www.applianceaid.com/movingday3.html :> : :> :jeff. :> : :> :Appliance Repair Aid :> :http://www.applianceaid.com / :> :> Thanks for the links. I'm really glad I didn't turn on my washer :> yesterday. I had loaded it with laundry and was getting ready to turn it :> on. I read the instructions and decided to not add detergent until I was :> satisfied that things were working OK. But I decided to read the :> troubleshooting section on the inside door before starting and the bit :> about it not filling all the way caught my attention. It appeared to me :> that there was no valve (I had presumed there was a valve) and that the :> drain pipe had to be 34+ inches high! I went to the internet and found a :> link that said the same thing, including the information about the :> typical drain pipe trap at 6 - 12 inches above the floor, and I decided :> to post for ideas, obviously being totally new to this stuff. I'm going :> to check out the hardware stores and see what's available. Maybe I can :> find a kit that includes a trap. Maybe I can keep that elbow (which is :> threaded on the inside, BTW), or maybe I'll have to remove it. The only :> way I can think of removing it at the moment with my tools (9.5 inch and :> 12 inch pipe wrenches, basically) is by sticking a broomstick into the :> elbow and cranking! That scares me a little. : :Hello, : :> 110.91511100 - Whirlpool built direct drive style Kenmore washer. : :jeff. : :Appliance Repair Aid :http://www.applianceaid.com /
That's quoted, but it appears you entered it:

Am I right that this was a 1995 model?

G'day,
It should be a 95 model yes!
jeff.