Installing wainscot...question.

The instructions aren't real clear to me. How do I "blind" nail these 3.5" strips that I'm mounting vertically. I tried putting the 1.5" finishing nail through the tongue of the wainscot, but the nail head is still visible. If I move the nail any further out on the tongue, the wood will split. Also, I'm installing this vertically over sheetrock, which means I'm not hitting too many studs. Will the top and bottom trim and a few nails into sheetrock be enough to secure it?

Reply to
Ken Aman

finishing

Normally, instead of cutting out drywall and installing blocking between studs, redoing your drywall etc. It's just as cost effective to cut out your drywall 32" or however high your wainscoat is, install plywood sheet goods the same thickness as drywall. If your consider your time vs. material cost. Most of the times 1/2" thickness on walls. Might want to think of renting a compressor and finish nailer at this time, makes that wainscoating go up in a hurry, same for your baseboard/chair rail.

Reply to
Junior

I put mine up over sheetrock with construction grade glue, no nails and painted it and it has been up for 10 years and I have never had a problem. I was going to do only one bedroom, but I liked the look so well, and it was so easy, I did a bathroom and a hall at the same time. I cheated, I used the tongue and grove panel strips that are about 1/4 inch thick and made from western cedar I believe. The finished look is the same as real tongue and groove. Good luck, GCS

Reply to
RESPITE95

Having just installed this over a mixture of drywall and plastered walls, I used construction adhesive to hold the wainscot to the wall, with a finishing nail top and bottom to keep it in place while the glue dried.

Pre-drilled the panel where it would be covered by either baseboard or chair rail molding.

HTH

Reply to
Phil May

use construction adhesive.

Reply to
Punch

got pictures to share, if you do I will respond with my valid email address for you to send them..

thanks..

Reply to
Punch

what type of wood did you use? did you pre stain, paint etc.....

what height did you go with?

thanks

planning on doing this to my basement.

Reply to
Punch

If I ever decide to remove the wainscot, will this constructiuon adhesive come off my walls? I installed a couple pieces with just nails and it seems like it's holding, plus the base and chair rail hold the top and bottom in place. Has anybody installed this without adhesive?

Reply to
Ken Aman

moisture will warp the strips without adhesive. nails do NOT hold up into sheetrock alone!

Reply to
AAA

You have to use adhesive, otherwise it won't last. A decent nail gun will drive nails that will be covered/disappear easily. Don't nail in the tongue or groove---that's just asking for trouble.

Yes, it will damage the plaster or sheetrock, but ten years from now, when your tastes change, you can make those repairs fairly easy. That's assuming your are still living in the house...

Reply to
BKS

Whenever I have done wainscoting I have nailed on the tongue to hide the nail and it has worked like a charm. I also remove the sheetrock/plaster below the chair rail so I can put up a plywood nailer and keep it flush to the existing wall.

Reply to
Brad