Installing vynil siding over existing cedar plank siding.

I have a question about the installation of vynil siding over cedar plank siding. I am going to be doing the siding myself and wanted to know if it would be easier to mount a thinner plywood over the existing siding to create a smooth surface, or if I should fill the gaps with a furring strip?

Any suggestions.

Reply to
TheRegit

I have a question about the installation of vynil siding over cedar plank siding. I am going to be doing the siding myself and wanted to know if it would be easier to mount a thinner plywood over the existing siding to create a smooth surface, or if I should fill the gaps with a furring strip?

Any suggestions.

Reply to
TheRegit

When they did my house they used 4x8 foot foam sheets about 1/2 inch thick.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Putting vinyl over cedar siding is insane unless the wood is damaged beyond repair. If the damage is in fact hopeless, then strip it all off to the sheathing, make neceassary sheathing and flashing repairs and apply Tyvek wrap. Then install vinyl per manufacturer recommendations and you should have a decent looking job. If the wood siding is repairable, by all means make the repairs and consider getting some professional help to prepare for painting. A well maintained cedar sided house will always appraise far higher than one with ordinary vinyl siding. Make your choice based on your perceived best value. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thank you for speaking for many of us, and phrasing it much more nicely than I was about to.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

You're welcome.