installing thin accent wall tile

I have finished my backsplash for our kitchen in 1/2 travertine tile. There are six places where single Stainless tiles are to be inserted into the backsplash. We finally got the SS tiles in and they are a bit thinner than the travertine tiles, so what is the best way to extend/back/the SS tiles out to be flush with the rest of the tiles? The tiles will need to come out 3/16" extra from the wall. I can only think of two options - Glue a thin backer on the tile, then glue to wall, or Use a lot of adhesive to fill in the area behind the tile. If I take the mega glue route, should I even bother with a notched trowel, or just goop it in?
Thanks, Tom
I would use a thinnest for those

Don't "goop it" all at once. Apply a scratch coat of mastic 1/8 (?) on the wall and horizontally notch. Allow to set a bit. Apply mastic to the final tile; would be my DIY thoughts :) Don't get in a hurry. -- Oren