Installing Thermostat On Attic Fan or Finding Old One

I have a nice quiet ceiling fan for my attic in the house that I bought, but I can't find the thermostat. (I know there is one because the thermostat tag fell down in the attic). I realize that ceiling fans are not that expensive, but I am happy with the quiet fan that I have, and I don't want to go to the hassle of installing a new one. So, how would I find and test the old one (I live in Cincinnati which is cold now), or is it that difficult to install a new thermostat. I already have an on-off switch for the fan that came with house.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
Decij

This is Turtle.

My reply will be for a Attic only vent-o-lator used to cool the attic of your house and not a ceiling fan use to blow air in your living area of your home.

The thermostat should be somewhere near the fan it'self and in the wire circuit leaving the fan about 2 foot from the fan. If it is not there follow the wire leaving the fan and see if it has been move down the circuit somewheres in the circuit. If not Go to Home Chep-0 or lows and ask for a thermostat for a attic fan. They are not really sold much and they will have to order one for you. Now you may want to check the price for sometimes it cost more for the thermostat than a new fan would cost. Now you can get a Refrigeration type thermostat that is a super over kill device sold to us hvac / r people that will do a very good job but cost about $60.00 or so. Now Home Cheap-0 has a cheap model attic fan for $29.00 and just take the thermostat off it and put it on yours.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Do you mean a "whole-house attic fan"...or do you mean an attic ventilator fan? Two entirely different things. Whole house type has the automatic shutters in the ceiling of the second floor that open when the fan starts and pulls air thru the entire house. Also, ceiling fans usually means paddle blade fans you see in bedrooms.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Sorry, I meant an attic ventilator.

JD

Reply to
Decij

Thanks for your very good suggestions. It is an attic fan.

Reply to
Decij