Installing safety grab bar in ceramic shower?

I need to install a safety grab bar in a shower that has ceramic tile. The house was built about 40 years ago. I assume I must drill thru the tiles and bolt the rail supports to studs behind the wall. If this is necessary, how does one locate studs behind ceramic tile?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Ferguson

It is not always easy. You could try looking for the studs on the other side of the wall in a room that is behind the bath. You could also measure

16" from the corner and hope that each stud is on center (Risky). If the tile does not go up the entire wall to the ceiling, you could try looking above the tile.

As an electrician I usually look at the wall receptacles and switches first. When the house was built the outlet boxes were mounted on the exposed studs. I remove the cover plate and push the edge of the box with a screwdriver to see which side is fastened and which side is loose. Once you find one, the others are usually 16" in each direction. Of course I wouldn't expect you to have outlets or switches in your bath tub.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

I need to do the same thing and I happen to catch an episode of "Ask this old house". they showed a new product called Wingits. I found them on the internet at

Basically you drill a hold in a place where there is no stud. As long as the wall is sound they claim it will hold up to 400lbs. I just used them in my house and they worked great. They are kind of pricey though.

Reply to
PAUL100

I just did that and got lucky, sort of. I have a window above the tub, and used the jack studs below the sides fo the window. If you have a window then there are studs just to the sides of the window and a pair of short "jack" studs sistered to them to support the window sill. That made it easy to find the studs, just drop down from the edge of the window. I also got lucky, because the window was a 36" window, so a 36" grab bar fit just right between those studs.

Of course if you don't have a window, you are just about out of luck there.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

They are pricey, but I decided to go with the WingIts. Thanks for the pointer.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Ferguson