Installing roof jack thru existing shake roof?

I'd appreciate someone telling me all the tricks to installing a roof jack through an existing heavy shake roof. The roof is traditional California construction, i.e. lath strips, then felt, then heavy shakes nailed to the lath. All help gratefully appreciated.