Installing recessed lighting fixture in suspended ceiling

I am about to install several recessed light in a hanging ceiling. I am pulling permits and getting inspections. Since the hanging ceiling is the last thing to be installed, and I need to have the lights hooked up to get the electrical inspection, what is the right approach to installing them.? I suppose I could suspend them from temporary hangers to hook them up and get inspected, then connect them to the grid and adjust the hangers after the ceiling is in place?

Ask the inspector what he expects to see. Your idea (or anyone here) and his expectations may differ. Worth a phone call.
Most recessed manufacturers make supports to attach recessed fixtures to "T" bars and be sure to staple your cables to the framing above the suspended ceiling and not just lay it across the "T" bars

I would also do what Ed suggests, if possible. Here in NY, electrical inspectors make no bones about their job NOT being to teach us the trade, so asking them for advise is a worthless endeavor

Dr.John wrote:

Hanger anchored between joist? That'll do.
I haven't a clue if this will help you or not John; however, in most of the commercial settings I've worked (canada) where they need to have the electrical inspected in an unfinished room they typically:
- Run all their conduit and bx (remember, I'm speaking of commercial applications) - Run the t-bar throughout the room - Install the tiles *only* where the light fixtures are to be installed - Install the light fixtures - Have inspected
Regards, JW
Sounds logical, thanks. One question. Don't you need to put up the wallboard before you can hang the t-bar, the catch-22 being you have to have the electrical inspected before you put up the wallboard?
Typically, you would rough the entire room and leave tails in the ceiling for the future lights. Get a roughing inspection, close the walls,install your outlets and switches, install the ceiling grid and recessed fixtures wired to the tails you left, and call for a final inspection.

Ah, sounds good, on my way... thx