Installing Reccessed Lights Help

I plan to install six recessed light fixtures (HALO) as part of my basememnt renovation. I currently have two sets of flourescent light fixtures in the basement. I was thinking maybe I could install the recessed light fixtures with bulbs but leave the installation of the trims until I get the drywall ceiling up.
I'm I overlooking anything ? I have run the wires for the light switch and about to run the lines for the light fixtures.
Thanks.
thats how you do it . put the fixtures and wireing in first,then the drywall and trim.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:20:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's how we do it ... the fixture will guide your zip saw cut out in the same way that an outlet box will.
Ken
Make sure you get the right Fixture for your Insulation. If you have Insulation that will be close to the can, you need to get an IC rated fixture.
They make some decent fluorescent flood bulbs that fit pretty good in the can with the Trims too...
Scott<-

Scott Townsend wrote:

Well as the previous poster said use IC fixtures if there's insulation close but more likely wood or the subfloor of the first floor. The IC instructions give you the distances. You'll probably need them and I prefer the Junos. Read the instructions carefully especially as regards the trims. That can make you nuts. Different trims only allow certain wattage bulbs. Like the other previous poster says use a Roto-Zip blade to cut in the openings. I locate the center of the fixture with 4 finish nails outside of the drywall that locate where 2 snap lines will intersect the middle of the fixture. Then when the drywall is in position I locate the center. Tack the drywall in with a few screws. Cut out the middle and then the perimeter. BTW I didn't have a Roto-Zip when I first did this so I used a highspeed 1/4" corded drill and just chucked up a bit I borrowed. Worked fine for a few openings. Wear goggles and a mask. That dust flies right into your face. Also a drywall jack (or "T" braces) is/are handy when you're working over head. Esp. if you're by yourself. Richard
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Mine were up for a year before I put the trim on them. Still I would have preferred large flourescent lights to these incandescents.
--
Thank you,

Here is an update:
I installed the Juno units fine - no problems. I had purchased a set of incadescent light bulbs - Syman BR40 75Watts. After installing them, I found out that they were not as luminous as I needed. Actually a lot less. I went back to Home Depot and found a lot of light bulbs with a higher lumens rating , but not compatible with dimmers. I decided to install a set of Spiral 15W ones with 1600 lumens, compared with my previous <700 lumens. They were much better, but I had to get rid of the dimmers. This would be ok for use to install the ceiling drywall and other cleanup jobs. I was disappointed thaty they still does not match the brilliance of the two flourescent fixtures that I had before.
I am still looking for a long term solution. Any ideas ?? Thanks.

Please tell me brand, model, where to buy, etc! I expect that for 15 watt spirals "par" (or "mediumish-good") is about 900 lumens and I have yet to hear of better - but I suspect 1,000 or 1100 is possible.
My apologies, they are 23W with 1600 lumens - the brand is Luminus Super brillante Ultra mini spiral. They come in a pack of six at Costco. Here in Toronto, I paid under $20.00 Canadian for the pack.O
n Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:07:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Well thats why I preferred the flourascents. The recessed lighting is directional and you need a very high ceiling in order for them to light adequately. Maybe you can use a diffuse grill of some sort to distribute the light. but this will mean a smaller bulb since the assembly will now be closed...Tough situation.
--
Thank you,

Thanks .. I have a very low ceiling to start with. This is the reason that I removed my old suspended ceiling and I am trying to install a drywall ceiling. I went back to the electrical store this afternoon and picked up two halogen bulbs to try. They are rated with a higer brilliance - 1000 lumens and can be used with a dimmer. They don't look too bad. I am going to leave the spirals on until the area is finished and painted. The new ceiling and paint may make a differece plus I can then correct to the exisiting colour. If you come up with more ideas please let me know.
Thanks.

Are you doing a suspended ceiling? I would in a basement. Those are the ceilings with panels suspended on a steel framework and you can lift them to get access to pipes. There are special light fixtures for suspended ceilings.

Thanks for your comments. I have purchased Juno units this afternoon- fixtures, trim, and bulbs to go with them. The installation is going to be in the basement with exposed joists - no insulatio. So I bought the Juno units for non-insulated new construction. I bought the large 6 in untis with a large bulb to go with it and a dimmer. I will provide an update as things move along.