Installing pre-hung door with trim

Bought pre-hung door with frame (obviously) and trim already installed.
The only way I can see to install this door is to remove the trim from both sides and, after installing the door and frame, reinstalling the trim.
Is this correct? If so, what reason is there for installing the trim onto the frame?
I need to install the shims on all sides of the frame, so I can't see how to install the shims with only one side of the trim removed...
Ideas?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net
DaveC wrote:

Thus spake Timothy Lange:

-=-=-=-
Lo an' behold! It is a split-jamb.
But the question still rears its head: how do you install the shims to give you a plumb-and-square install, when the casing is already nailed to the (half) jamb? Access to the space between the rough opening studs and the door frame is accessible from only one side (the non-casing side).
Ideas?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net
DaveC wrote: <snip>

You can keep the jamb assembly square by nailing a diagonal brace to the non casing side. Use the 3 4 5 rule to ensure square. Then install shims using a Jamber level set or at minimum a 2' and 4' level set. HTH
Joe

All of the weight is on the hinge side of the door. Hang that side first, shim and level it. With the door on, set the head and the side jamb to the door leaving 1/8 space on all sides. Shim as needed. Install the other side of the jamb, face nail the casing and then nail through the stop to secure the two jamb sections together.
-Lee
You should have bought a "split jamb" door. Your thinking is correct, remove casing on one side only. Leave the door in the jamb, to check your margin( even distance between door and jamb). this operation requires 2 people.