Installing Over-The-Range Microwave

I currently have a freestanding range without any cabinets or hood over it. My kitchen is small and really limited on counter space so I'd buy an Over-the-range microwave oven. Considering that I don't have a cabinet to hang it from, I was thinking of building a "shelf" that would be bolted to studs above the microwave, and mounting the microwave beneath that. After reading a bit more it seems that the wall actually supports most of the weight - not the cabinet above, so is there an easier method for mounting an over-the-range microwave? Can I just mount it to the wall without a cabinet to hold it in place? I'm not concerned about exhaust and can run the electrical myself.
Thanks for your help,
Josh Ferguson josh<NO SPAM PLEASE>@mindvision.com
On 8-Feb-2004, snipped-for-privacy@mindvision.com (Josh Ferguson) wrote:

The one I installed had a steel frame that mounted to the wall behind the unit. It only carried the _vertical_ load, The cabinet above is used to attach to the top of the microwave and prevents the unit from swinging away from the wall. So, if yours is like this one, you'll need both the wall mount and the shelf/cabinet above.
A shelf would be adequate as long as it is anchored solidly to the wall. The bolts/pins that connect the shelf to the top of the unit will be a bit proud of the shelf. You can use a thick shelf and countersink the washers and bolt heads into the shelf and cover them if that's a concern.
Don't forget that you are supporting the weight of the unit as well as the weight of what you put in it (and kids hanging onto the door, etc...), so that shelf should be really solid. Cabinets are easier to make solid and secure solidly to the wall. You could use an open (doorless) cabinet as a shelf.
Mike
I just replaced one. The old one has a very heavy wall mount that held the unit securely, so the cabinet above was unimportant. The replacement's wall bracket was much lighter. It actually hung down about a half inch and then had to be tightened up against the cabinet. If you shelf can bend down at all, it won't work very well.
Don't have any idea how others are.
I'll agree with the others. I just removed my combo micro/range hood and there was a large plate that was attached to the wall, to which the microwave was affixed to...
The was no support from the cabinet above it...
I've got a completely serviceable micro/hood for sale now <G>. New ones are pretty pricey. I've seen them starting at $150 and going up from there. You can have mine for a mere $40.00. It's in the Northern San Diego area - LOL
Rick
I've done three of these so far, and one had physical connections to the cabinet above, and two did not. One thing to consider is that these are made assuming the microwave will be surrounded on 3 sides by cabinets. They are not very attractive from the sides or bottom, since these are to be hidded with the surrounding cabinetry. Maybe a better solution would be to put up a very well braced shelf, and get a free standing microwave oven to set on top of the shelf. Dave

DaveG wrote in message ...

You can buy a ready made microwave oven shelf which rests on the stove underneath. You can see ones for 24" and 30" wide ranges at the link below.
http://tinyurl.com/2mq9t
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+microwaves
=~~~~~~
snipped-for-privacy@mindvision.com (Josh Ferguson) wrote in message
Hi,
The weight is shared between the wall mounted plate and the cabinet above!! Building your own shelf/support is probably better than just trying a wall mount.
http://www.applianceaid.com/otr1.html Installing a -common- OTR mircowave.
jeff.
just put in a shelf and buy a regular microwave!
wayne