Installing new garage door opener

My garage door opener died, and I need to install a new one. Here's the problem: there's a beam running across my garage ceiling, about 8 inches past the top of the door when it's open. With the existing opener, the previous owners installed it in that space (flush against the beam on the garage door side), but it prevents the door from opening all the way. It hangs down about a foot lower than it should when opened, and I'm constantly banging my head on it. I'd love to get around this problem now that I need to replace the thing. The questions is, how can I mount the opener so that it will allow the door to open all the way?

Reply to
Dave N

Thanks Art. Do you know what brand/model opener mounts above or to the side of the door, as you describe?

A mousehole in the beam is another good idea. I'll have to make sure whatever model I go with has a track that extends the extra foot or so.

Art Todesco wrote in news:whuGe.2297$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Dave N

at Menards

Reply to
Jmagerl

Two ideas. There is available an opener that mounts above the door and drives the pipe where the springs are mounted. These used to be available only for commercial doors, but now I see the for residential garages.

33 years ago I moved into this house, new at that time, which had the I beam as you described. I made a small mouse hole in the beam and mounted the motor/gear/control on the other side of the beam, with the track and chain going through the beam and connecting to the header above the door. Drilling was somewhat difficult, however, once you figure it out, it was not that bad. I drilled 4 3/8" hole at the corner of rectangle; start> My garage door opener died, and I need to install a new one. Here's the
Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
Art Todesco