Installing new floor (wood)

I've moved in to a new home and did not want to pay to upgrade the floors, I figured I would do it myself. The floor I'm planning on laying new flooring down (undecided on a Pergo type or real wood) currently has linoleum.
The question I have is "should I remove the linoleum or place the floor directly on top" If laying on top, should I lay a moisture barrier? I would think the linoleum would fit the bill fine.

Yes. No. Depends.
Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. New home and you want Pergo? Is it a real house to be proud of or a vacation cabin in the woods?

Pergo was a stretch. There is a bamboo flooring they have at Home Despot which is a floating and/or glue down. The only plus to a pergo-type is my two kids and two big inside dogs. I'm not big on the faux look of them, but might make an exception for the durabilty/price. I can't spend too much seeing how I just bought a new house.

Geez, arn't we a little snooty.. Nothing wrong with pergo from this perspective. and if you want to spend more money on a true wood floor that looks better the minute it is installed, but needs more maint. and will look worse in 30 minutes of use, then go right ahead.
Dave
yeah really..I just put down a Pergo kitchen floor for just those reasons, it's almost indestructible, looks almost perfectly like real wood, and I couldn't be happier. Wood would get destroyed in the kitchen, my kids are tough on things. Pergo can go over just about anything I believe as long as it's dry, concrete may or may not be a moisture issue and need a barrier, check the pergo website for all the details.
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

Hopefully I won't find out for quite a while!
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

Yes, thank you for noticing one of my better qualities.

Look at engineered wood. Real wood, superb finish that will last many years. A good example is www.mannington.com Pergo type floors from Home Depot look exactly like what they are.