Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

If you are doing this with a single duplex receptacle, don't forget to break the tabs off between both terminal screws.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had been thinking about that. Would likely make things easier with the grounding. For the moment I am planning on using 2 separate duplex receptacles (that was the term I was looking for ...). That gives an extra outlet each ...

Reply to
Han

Han is located in NJ. I have never seen a cord and plug connected furnace in NJ, where code enforcement tends to be stricter than in many other parts of the country. Not saying they don't exist. Just that if he wants it to be code compliant, he should ask the local inspector.

For me, this re-wiring of individual appliances, in most cases, doesn't make sense. You can do minimal and easy re-wiring once, at the panel, and then power whatever you want in the whole house. You do that with a lockout device on the panel, ie Interlockit kit or new panel cover, plus a new double pole breaker connected to an inlet. Code compliant and when power fails, you just run one extension cord from the generator to the inlet. It's the safe, legal way of doing what many people already do, ie backfeeding via a dryer outlet, etc.

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g18g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

Well reasoned, trader, and I appreciate it! Thanks.

Here comes my dilemma. I think I can do this plug thing safely, as I described in another branch of this thread. If it is done that way, it could be easily brought back to current conditions, which I think are fully in compliance with code. Since I do not plan on selling this house

- that'll be a job for my heirs - should I care about a condition that is not code-compliant but also not unsafe?

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@g18g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

Wiring an inlet into the panel and installing a new cover or Interlockit isn't much more work or difficulty. Unless you have an old panel, etc where you can't get an Interlockit kit or new panel cover. Or the panel doesn't have room for a new breaker, etc.

Whether you care about something being code compliant or not is up to you. I'm sure you've seen plenty of people here saying they have a cord and plug on their furnace. And I'll bet they are done in a variety of ways. From safe, to wires dangling on heated pipes. And whether it's code compliant or not you won't know unless you ask the inspector. Speaking of code compliant, you are also supposed to pull an electrical permit for changing the furnace wiring. If you do that, you'll find out for sure....

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l7g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

Oops ...

Reply to
Han

Still a problem.

I doubt many inspectors would allow that reasoning. But an inspector doesn't have to. They can use the AHJ discretion allowed below.

My mental picture is a much longer cord replacing the wiring from the furnace to a ceiling or wall.

It can be done in a code compliant manner. Use a double pole switch to switch between the branch circuit and an inlet. Not that hard to do yourself.

Art Todesco found a commercial unit that is 15A 120V

RBM found one that is 230V, 30A.
In the event that I needed to connect my furnace to a generator I would disconnect the branch circuit at the furnace and kludge a cord there. If I had frequent outages I would use a switch/inlet, or a panel-cover interlock.

Reply to
bud--

Being the OP I've just decided to install a 6 circuit transfer switch. $25=

0 does seem like much s> Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power oil =

furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

t want to break the bank)?

6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume so= meone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old = house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) wou= ld do the trick.
Reply to
noname

I wouldn't assume that to be necessary for single-residence homeowner, either...most places, even the strict ones, have variances for the owner-resident when isn't rental or multi-unit, etc.

The local office that handles such can certainly tell you, indeed, and there's more than likely a web site that has the applicable information that you can find for the actual jurisdiction in charge.

Reply to
dpb

If he's going to re-wire the furnace to a double pole swich and inlet he might as well just do the panel interlock anyway, regardless of how oftern the power goes out. Not much difference in my book, except that at the panel, you get to power whatever you choose in the house, not just the furnace. Only drawback is a little more cost for the interlock and breaker vs a double pole switch.

Reply to
trader4

I'm not exactly assuming, I live in NJ too. The case here where you would not need a permit is if you are doing "repairs". Any new wiring, changing wiring, etc, which is what he is actually doing, requires a permit, even if it's your own house and you live in it.

To put in a furnace here requires 3 permits, together with all the fees, again something you might not see in a lot places. But then this is the Peoples Republic here....

Yes, he should go check further if he wants to be absolutley sure and comply. And clearly a lot of people are doing a lot of work themselves without getting permits.

Reply to
trader4

bud-- wrote in news:509e705a$0$1485$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thank you, thank you!! That is the type of switch I wanted all along. I did the kludge of disconnecting the circuit at junction box 1, and attaching a cord with the wirenuts there. Not sure I really want to do that in a dark basement and then also starting a generator. I have put aside on my Amazon wishlist a 120V version:

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l7g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

I really appreciate the advice, and I will talk to a licensed electrician before I go any further. I have done electrical work in my basement, such as adding circuits for my workshop. I did not get any permits thinking that similar to Nassau County, LI, I could do them myself as long as I did them right.

Reply to
Han

On 11/10/2012 10:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

...[description of onerous permitting reqm'ts elided for brevity]...

When such extreme silliness as I saw online when I just looked is the rule, the obvious result is that people will break the rules.

Reply to
dpb

120V

30A.http://www.wayfair.com/Reliance-Controls-Easy-Tran-Transfer-Switch-TF...>>

It seems like a lot of work to end up with the same 110.3(B) violation.

Reply to
gfretwell