Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power oil fu= rnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on brands (don't = want to break the bank)?

Transfer switch for this seems a straight forward install (house is only 6 = years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume some= one fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old ho= use) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) would= do the trick.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
noname

furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

want to break the bank)?

years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick.

Ok, here is some advice! Do you own you house free and clear? If so, go ahead and do it yourself. If there is a problem and your insurance won't pay, you are out the money.

If you have a mortgage and you have a serious problem with the switch or your wiring and the insurance won't pay, your mortgage holder will probably require you to pay off the balance immediately and make them not liable for any losses.

Get it installed professionally. Not that expensive.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

t want to break the bank)?

6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume so= meone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old = house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) wou= ld do the trick.

We have a 5,500 watt generator. I ran lines from the generator to the well = pump for water, the oil-fired water heater, the oil furnace, the refrigerat= or and the freezer. It keeps them all going but I have to unplug each from = the house current and plug them into the generator lines when the power goe= s out. Plus we have a spare extention cord that can be plugged into one of = the microwave, coffe maker, reading lamp, etc., as needed.

I wired this all myself but wouldn't install a transfer switch myself. I pl= an to get a larger generator with a transfer switch next year, having a pro= fessional electrician do the hookup for insurance and safety considerations= .

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

l furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave= ).

n't want to break the bank)?

y 6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume = someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our ol= d house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) w= ould do the trick.

l pump for water, the oil-fired water heater, the oil furnace, the refriger= ator and the freezer. It keeps them all going but I have to unplug each fro= m the house current and plug them into the generator lines when the power g= oes out. Plus we have a spare extention cord that can be plugged into one o= f the microwave, coffe maker, reading lamp, etc., as needed.

plan to get a larger generator with a transfer switch next year, having a p= rofessional electrician do the hookup for insurance and safety consideratio= ns.

Reply to
noname

I think I could wire a plug for my furnace. As it is, from the breaker, goes to box on furnace, then hardwired to furnace circuit.

Really, thought about turning breaker off, then run reverse plug from generator to box....

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't know the skill level of the OP so I'm not going to say if he should do it or not. The rest is BS though. The insurance will pay for your incompetence.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

to break the bank)?

years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick.

I don't know nuthin' but how can a 30 amp switch be enough for a 5000 watt generator, peak or not.?

Reply to
micky

My 6000 watt peak aldi generator has two 20 amp 120 volt outputs, or the

240 volt output plug. Ill have to see the generator breakers rating though. 30 amp would be more than enough.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

If you can devide 5000 by 240 you will see how it can.

It comes out to slightly less than 21 amps.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ah, 240.

Reply to
micky

It IS that expensive.

Reply to
HeyBub

Probably

Why a transfer switch? Two extension cords, one for the furnace and one for everything else, should be ample. Even if you install it yourself, a transfer switch will set you back $200-$300. If you have a licensed, union, professional install it, what with the possible permits and inspections, you may be north of $1,000.

A couple of 100' extension cords will set you back less than a hundred bucks.

The transfer switch is a no-fuss option allowing you to run (usually) up to six circuits with the flip of a single switch. Seems to me that after uncovering the generator in the garage, hauling it out into the air, charging it with gas, and otherwise fussing around, uncoiling two extension cards doesn't add much to the project.

Reply to
HeyBub

Depends on where you live. In the US, code appears to clearly state that the furnace must be permanently attached. But the consensus appears to be that it's routinely ignored. When I asked the local electrical inspector, he didn't even know about it and said he would approve a plug. YMMV

Reply to
mike

It sounds wise, to have a pro do the transfer switch. Ideally, you can have the electrician wire a 15 amp socket on the utility power side of that switch. Plug in a lamp, and a radio (old type with the knobs, and set it to full volume) so you know when the utility power comes back on.

.

We have a 5,500 watt generator. I ran lines from the generator to the well pump for water, the oil-fired water heater, the oil furnace, the refrigerator and the freezer. It keeps them all going but I have to unplug each from the house current and plug them into the generator lines when the power goes out. Plus we have a spare extention cord that can be plugged into one of the microwave, coffe maker, reading lamp, etc., as needed.

I wired this all myself but wouldn't install a transfer switch myself. I plan to get a larger generator with a transfer switch next year, having a professional electrician do the hookup for insurance and safety considerations.

Paul

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 16:51:04 -0700 (PDT), noname wrote in Re Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice:

Not likely. I wold go with at least 6500 peak.

Reply to
CRNG

Back feeding power into a circuit can be dangerous. Only if you are skilled and safe with electricity would you do any wiring. I am not suggesting, or reccomending anyone do any wiring.

In theory, one could unwire the furnace from the house power, and insulate the house power wires. Connect the furnace wires to a cord and plug harvested from a three wire appliance that's being thrown out. When the power comes back, rewire the furnace to the breaker panel, and put it all back like you found it. The furnace gets powered, and much lower chance of back feeding, and killing a lineman.

You will need a bit of electrical knowledge, wire nuts, electric tape, safe working habits. Note, that I didn't provide step by step coaching. If you don't know the details, call an electrician or a friend who does. Remember, the utility power can come back on at any second, and ignorant people can be killed from electricity.

I installed furnaces for six years, and have worked with electricity for 30 years. It still scares me, and I double and triple check safety. Act with wisdom, and at your own risk.

.

I think I could wire a plug for my furnace. As it is, from the breaker, goes to box on furnace, then hardwired to furnace circuit.

Really, thought about turning breaker off, then run reverse plug from generator to box....

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Transfer box for my generator contains switch where box controls items I have wired, well, furnace, refrigerator, freezers and some lights and TV. When power comes back, items that were not on transfer box come back on, i.e. any thing that had been powered on and went off turns back on.

I had mine done professionally where they had also replaced old, unsafe breaker box. Cost was not excessive.

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
noname

One feature of the transfer switch, it's supposed to be "oops, I forgot" proof. I think it's a very bad ass/u/me for you to rely on remembering to flip a breaker. When the power is out, and you're cold, it's too easy to forget things. This, I know from experience.

Please, please. Make it as "oops, I forgot" proof as possible.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is the proper/safe way to do it: