Installing Heat Lamp

I would like to install a heat lamp in an existing bathroom. I have no problem with the installation and wiring of the lamp itself, but how do I tie into the existing circuit? Currently I have a single switch with a six bulb vanity bar. I am also assuming that I will need to install a second switch or timer to run this from. What about the breakers? Will I need to install another one at the box or can I run it off the current one?

Reply to
Russell Smith

Depends on whether the total wattage (probably only lights; although in some jurisdictions the 'mixing' of lights and outlets is allowed on the same circuit!) already on that circuit; plus the wattage of the heat lamp does not exceed the gauge of the wiring and the circuit breaker of that circuit. That's a very basic question to anything electrical; there is sometimes a tendency for people to 'just add' things to existing circuits and if it seems to work OK ...............! Later on an insurance company or a coroner may not like it! Additional wiring from an appropriate supply; most likely can be from an existing ceiling or wall light fixture box. In general it is unlikely that you will have to run wiring back to the circuit breaker panel; but it all depends on what is presently on the the circuit you intend to hook up to! If a separate wall switch for the heat lamp is needed then standard wiring to the location of switch will be needed; in accordance with electrical codes in your region. Also, what does your electrical code and insurance company say about the type of fixture and where and how the heat lamp must be located and whether it must be (most likely) grounded and perhaps bonded to bathroom plumbing for electrical safety. Also some codes, for example, say that any/all switches for bathroom lights etc. must be outside the room. If the heat lamp is going to be over, say, the bath tub an approved type of of correctly grounded fixture may be required. Sorry to preach but your question raises some basic concerns!

Reply to
Terry

If your lighting circuit is separate from the BR outlets (properly on GFCI) the breaker should be rated for 15 Amps. If your vanity lights are 150 watts and the heat lamp is 150 watts, your current draw is still less than 3 Amps. Do the math to figure how many heat lamps you want. Most timers are well rated so that shouldn't be a problem, but check the label to be sure. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Don't forget to include the usual hair drier if you are going to try and get power from the same circuit as the outlets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a hair dryer, but no wife to use it nor do I have any hair :(

Reply to
Russell Smith

But the next guy how buys the house might have both.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan