Installing Hardwood Flooring

My name is Bill and this is my first post. I live in So California and am interested in installing a bordered hardwood floor. I love the old floors with a border and walnut strips. I am looking for info on how this is done. Can it be done with engineered flooring. Can anyone steer me to a resource (book or course) that will teach me this type of installation?