Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:10:35 -0400, "Robert Green"

Using a 6d finish nail, drive into the center of the stud above. A string attached to the nail and weight anchored with a nut/nail will get you close on the vertical.
In '95 I bought a house from a builder. I slipped in one day to see the progress. I must have counted 15 16d nails sticking through the shower enclosure. I lived there 10 years and could never see the fixes. I was impressed. My panic was no worry for the builder.:-)

Mom deserves the BEST!!
-- Oren
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:41:55 -0400, "Robert Green"

Although level is good, you also want to eyeball it too. In a few cases I think some things can look better based on what is pleasing to the eye. Of course your mother has the big vote on this. I wouldn't buy a level just for this unless you want one.

Magnetic stud finders are not much help. Electronic stud finders are great. I forget what brand I have, black and yellow i think (if the cheaper company didn't copy that. )

NOt just hopefullly. Essentially. Nothing else is safe. My mother wanted hers vertical, but if your bar is the wrong length to get studs at both ends, then don't mount the bar level. You have to have studs at both ends.

Most drugstores like Walgreens, Rite-Aid, independents, sell things like this. They might have a smaller selection than medical supply stores, but what you want is among the most common things and they might well have it. There are a lot of medical supply stores**. They often look something like drugstores from the outside. Particularly likely to be close to hospitals but elsewhere too. They sell retail all the time.
**Where I lived, in a town of 30,000 both the corner grocery and the corner toy store 5 blocks away became medical supply stores.
I put one of those on for my mother. In her case she wanted it just outside the tub so she could hold on while lifting her leg over the tub. She also got a bench for sitting in the tub.

Remember, there are plenty of kids at summer camp, even if you zap one of them, but you only get one mother.
(or these days, up to 5.)
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:41:55 -0400, "Robert Green"
If you want the bar in the shower, the electronic stud finder should work right through the acryllic and the sheet rock, but if you have doubts, go above the acryllic part, between that and the ceiling.
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:41:55 -0400, "Robert Green"

I saw several heavy-duty grab bars at a salvage place for cheap--better than the $60 ones at the BORG. Get the 4 or 6 foot ones (you never know where/how you're gonna fall). Each end of the grab bar typically has three holes--two of the three must go into a stud. If need be, cut a hole on the other side of the wall and install a 2x4 against the shower wall--yes, this does add another job of patching the wall but if you cut the hole along the middle of the stud you can replace the removed piece fairly easily. The grab bar should be able to handle a 300-pound force. Use silicone caulk.

the
sure
I'm really hoping to avoid having to bust up the walls. Caulk's a must for this kind of work, along with SS screws that won't leave rust trails. Thanks!
-- Bobby G.

Most bigbox grab bars are not on sixteen inch centers. And yes, you need to screw the bar to solid wood like studs. I had a similar need a couple of years ago and found this Really Good solution. Available in sixteen and thirty two inch versions. Even if you let a contractor install it, I definitely recommend the 'extendahand' bar. Many bars are too close to the wall for good leverage. This solves that by folding up and away from the wall.
http://www.extendahand.com /

Good find - thanks!
-- Bobby G.