...Installing Fridge with Ice maker...

...Hi All, I'm going with the plastic tubing, but how is best to cut it?....I'm sittig here with a test piece, let's hear your ideas!...

Reply to
John

Given that refrigerator icemakers are among the things most likely to leak and lead to a homeowners insurance claim, I think I'd trash that line and opt for a braided stainless no-burst supply line. At least that was the advice of my plumber neighbor when I was faced with a similar task recently. Handed me a braided line right out of his truck.

But if you wanna forge ahead with the plastic line, I'd be tempted to throw my newish bolt cutter at the task you have in front of you. Absent that, I'd try a hacksaw or if I was desperate, a lopping shears.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

A standard utility knife usually works well. Keep the cut a square as possible.

Reply to
Mark

According to Mark :

I often use pruning shears. Even on 1/2" and 3/4" flexible PVC tubing.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Sharp Muslim Boarding pass. Use a piece of wood as a backer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why? I have a friend whose plastic tubing to the fridge sprang a leak. Fortuneately, we were all in her basement when it did so, and we saw the water coming down from the sealing. How often do you check out under the refrigerator, especially when you are away for 2 weeks.

And I don't have an ice maker, but my plastic tubing to the humidifier sprang a leak, and not close to the furnace either. I don't long know how long it ran before I noticed it, but the two open drawers of the file cabinet were pretty wet inside.

Reply to
mm