Installing FLAT Screen Spline - How To?

Having purchased a 10-year old home with a pool, surrounded by a screen enclosure, I find myself in need of some expert advice on how to install new screening! While I've replaced window screens in the past using ROUND spline, I've never used FLAT spline ... as a matter of fact, I'd never even seen it before. There must be a reason that the original installers used it, because it seems that all of the screen enclosures here in Florida utilize that type.

As best I can measure it, the aluminum channel (into which the screen and spline fit) is 5/32" wide, and the old FLAT spline measures approximately 1/4" wide by 1/16" thick. (I looked up "flat spline" on the web, and find that a standard size is 15/64" ... which is probably what I have.)

My problem is ... how the heck do you get the spline to stay in the channel? It stands to reason that it must be installed "width-wise" ...

15/64" spline forced into a 10/64" channel ... but every time I try rolling the spline into the channel, it ends up twisting "side-ways" ... or the spline tool slips off the spline and ends up damaging the screening!

HELP! The must be a secret to installing this type of spline!

Or should I just give up and leave the installation to professionals ... or replace the flat spline with round spline?

Reply to
jeparker49

You may have a point ... could be there's a special tool used to install this type of spline. Just waiting to see if anyone in the DIY community has ever tackled this type project!

Reply to
Bankerjohn

Flat spline won't pull out in the wind. The harder you pull on the screen side the tighter it gets. Pull on the trim off side and it will come right out.

The trick is getting started. Roll the screen in the groove with the round wheel a bit to get started, Feed the spline into the groove toward the screen side and roll it with the concave roller. Start and end up in the same corner to prevent wrinkles.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've never done this but I wonder if you have the right spline tool. The one I use on rounded splines would not do a good job in this application.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel