Installing fiber-cement siding around/over gas/electric pipes

I'm thinking of putting Hardie or Certainteed fiber/cement lap siding on my house. I'm pretty handy, but I've never installed siding before.

On the side of the house where the pipes from the gas and electric meters pass through the wall, am I correct in assuming that I'll have to have a plumber and electrician come and disconnect the service(s), so that I can pass the aforementioned pipes through holes drilled through the siding? Or is there some other magical way to fit the siding around the pipes? How do professional installers handle this?

I'm assuming worst-case scenario where the pipe will have to pass right through the middle of a piece of siding, and not close to a siding edge where I can just cut a notch in the siding.

Tnx, dave

Reply to
Dave

Boat_dreams

One approach is to use a panel (think: a 6"x6" piece of paintable wood) fitted to the pipe penetrations. Make the panel up with the required penetrations and cut through them afterwards to allow the piece to be reassembled in place. Flash/glue/caulk as needed and butt the siding to the panel. A similar method can be used for exterior lights, sillcocks, etc... if the equipment isn't demountable.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Hello,

My suggestion, based on absolutely no experience whatsoever, is this: It seems simplest to arrange that you have a seam where the pipe is, so you can notch the horizontal siding. For example, instead of starting the row at one end as usual, start that row at the pipe and work outward towards both ends.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney