installing electricly controlled master valve on landscape sprinkler system

I'm going to install a master valve that is electrically controlled ( 24 Volts) inside the basement where the sprinkler control box and the water feed to the sprinklers are located. My question is about the type of valve to use. I have a Honeywell V8043 E 1012 that is a 2 position zone valve. It cost me about $70. When I look for info on the web, I see that there are solenoid valves that could control the water flow but they cost $125. It would be a brass body with 3/4" copper sweat fitting controlled by 24v ac. Would the less expensive zone valve do same job as the more expensive solenoid valve?
<snip>

Yes.

Yes. You can get them even cheaper than that. The Orbits at HD are around $20.
--
Chris Lewis,