installing electric baseboard heaters

I've got a large room addition (16x20 w/cathedral ceiling) currently heated and cooled with a heat pump. I can't stand the heat (hee hee) the thing puts out - basically cold air.
I'm considering electric baseboard heaters instead (and just using the heat pump to cool in summer). My inlaws had these at a past house and they put out a fantastic warm heat with very little noise. I noticed I can buy them, and a thermostat specifically for them, at Home Depot.
What's involved in installing these? Do they require 240v? How do you determine how many to install?
Thanks, Michael
Michael Press wrote:

Yes, 240V (lots of it). Gotta do a heat loss study. Bigger question: can you afford to run them??
Jim

I can tell you what is involved with running these...........open your wallet, let the cash fly out. Had a couple of these in a back room of an old house I bought. It was the only heat in the room. When I turned them on, I swear I could hear the electric meter spinning. One month of heating to 60 degrees, the electric went up almost $120. And up here in the Northeast we're heating 7 or 8 months usually. Find something else, maybe a nice woodstove!
Dave
Baseboard electric costs piles of money to run.
How about get your heat pump looked at?
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

I think it's woking as designed. They just blow much cooler air than a gas-burning furnace. It "heats" the room, in that it brings the temp up to 72 or whatever, but it just feels lousy, getting 75-degree air blown on you all day long.

Then somethings wrong with it...period.
Also, we are selling what is called a Hot Heat Pump....and it is....matter of fact, most cant tell it from gas...not when there is a 3F diffence in register temps...so...have it checked, since the DeltaT on yours is obviously screwed up. My 3 year old one will put out over 145F air without the heat strips on....and as far as running the electric baseboards...if you can afford to run those, you can afford to get your heat pump fixed.

message wrote:

this is Turtle.
Hey CB , e-mail me about that hot heat pump your speaking about here. I have some customers that will not put up with a 10 or 15 degree TD at all. If they can't get a 20F to 25f TD they don't want it. Now this being freezing out side and no heat strips running. On these 13 and 14 seer heat pumps you can get down to a 10 TD real fast with it 20f outside. They want the air to feel like they are standing in front of the 600 horse powered Catapiller Diesel engine on a 110f day and the radiator air blowing right on them. That slightly warm air does not fire their rocket.
Let me know the brand / Type / what ever that i can look at it. I wished they had a rating level of 1 COP heat pump for them.
TURTLE

is....matter
have
freezing
you
Will do...trying to get into the dealer net now to get you the PDF files...servers down in Virginia..gimmie a bit and will have them to you later today.

message wrote:

than
75-degree
in
afford
air
This is Turtle.
I'll be looking for them.
Thanks
TURTLE
Unless you live with cheap Hydro your KWH is apx double that of gas. Get a vented stand alone gas heater. Even a fireplace is nicer, Elec what a waste