Installing Dishwasher under Granite Counter?

We're FINALLY approaching the end of remodeling our kitchen. We put in new frameless cabinets, with a granite counter top and bought new appliances.
My contractor, who I really trust is, driving the project.
Anyway, he asked the granite people to drill two holes in the bottom side of the granite. He said he'll use them to hold the dishwasher, in place. By bolting the dishwasher to the underside of the counter, it won't move at all.
The granite guys said absolutely not. He says that if the dishwasher vibrates, the granite, (1.25" thick) will crack. The granite guy said to attach the dishwasher on the sides, but I have frameless cabinets, and my contractor says they're not thick enough.
My contractor also says he does this all the time with dishwashers, and has never heard of a problem.
If anyone has any real life actual experience with this, I'd be interested to hear what happened and how it worked.
Thanks!
The counter in our case was actually glued to strips on top of the cabinets to keep the surface level and we were able to afix a small piece of hardwood in the area where the diswasher would attach with screws to not have to attach directly to the counter. My SIL had her counter top installed and they just left the DW for her to deal with and left it unattached so imagine her surprise the first time she opened it.

Didn't you put 1/2" plywood over the cabinet tops, if so it should of spanned the Dishwasher space. Allowing you to screw into that.That's how I've always seen cabinets done, When they did my kitchen the wanted a plywood substraight. I'm sure if the granite installer drills wholes in the granite you will lose any warranty, ask the contractor if he will cover it.
On Sat, 27 May 2006 19:23:05 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

My dishwasher is attached to the plywood substraight with short screws....not too the granite.
Oren
Some dishwashers fasten to the sides of adjacent cabinets rather than to the underside of the countertop.
My dishwasher had the option of mounting on the underside of the countertop or the sides of the cabinets. I also had 3/4" plywood over the top of the cabinets and spanning the dishwasher area.

FLHTPI wrote:

Gee .... I would tend to trust the granite contractor. Seems a hole drilled, along with unusual stress like something heavy placed or dropped on the drilled spot, could cause a crack. Never having had granite counters, it is only a guess. I've had skilled contractors try to sell a load of baloney about the "right" way to do stuff, especially if it is Friday afternoon and almost quitting time :o)
The cabinet guy, being a superb carpenter and planner, must be able to reinforce the cabinet to allow anchor to the cabinet, right? Where is the dishwasher going to go, anyway?
I have a regular laminate countertop, but after a few years the screws holding the dishwasher loosened and fell out. The screw holes had been slowly widened by the vibration. I had to put larger diameter screws in to hold it. In my case, they were screwed into the plywood supporting base, not the counter top itself. So I'd have to agree with the countertop guy. Vibration over the years might widen the holes and even crack the counter. Surely there's some supporting wood to attach to instead!

My 4' X 7' granite is mounted over an adjacent cabinet and a flat end (of the island) panel. I tied the two together with 3/4" ply across the top. The granite is attached to the ply with silicone sealant. My D/W is screwed to the ply from underneath.
In your case, I'd get a minimum 3" wide (go wider if you can) piece of 3/4" ply, cut it to the right width (between the adjacent cabinets) and then EPOXY glue it to the underside of the granite and brace it tightly up til it sets for 24 hrs. Then a day or so later, I'd attach the DW tabs with screws.
FLHTPI wrote:

Hi,
Something that may help.... http://www.applianceaid.com/dish_countertop.html
The floor bracket may be the trick for yours!?