installing baseboards

I'll be replacing my flooring in the near future, some of it tile and some of it carpeting, and I'd like to install some new baseboard. For the carpeting area; when is the proper time to install the baseboards, before or after installing the carpet? It looks to me that the existing baseboard was installed before the carpet was laid.
Thanks Ron

It's really up to you, there's no rule. I like to install after the carpet is in. Better for getting the baseboard height right, and for not dinging up the baseboard by the carpet installers.
Ron wrote:

Is there any particular reason that you're posting the same question that you posted a week and a half ago? Believe it or not, you're going to get the same answers.

what goes in first. If it was up to me, I'd put the baseboard in first.
Think about this: You will be creating work for yourself if you put the baseboards over the carpet. In five or ten or more years from now when the carpet is worn out - do you really want to pull the baseboard off to change the carpet?
Ron wrote:

The idea in baseboard is that it should conceal the gap at the bottom of the wallboard. So, it gets installed on the bare floor before the rug gets put down.

This was surprising to me, but several professionals say carpet should be done after the baseboard. If I hadn't read that here, I would have done it the other way - with horrible consequences. .
JimL
Ron wrote:

It's essentially the same question you asked before. http://tinyurl.com/5flzk
Your advise was useful RicodJour, but I never posted this question before.