Installing base kitchen cabinets. Over or upto slate tile?

I'm in the process of installing 12" slate tile in my kitchen. I will also be installing all new kitchen cabinets.

I'm wondering if I should 1. Install the base cabinets first and install the slate tile UPTO the base OR 2. Install the slate wall to wall and put the cabinets on top of the slate tile.

I bought enough slate to go wall to wall. I'm also aware of all the benefits of going wall to wall (i.e. less cutting, can slide out appliances, etc.). However, because slate is not perfectly flat, I'm worried about leveling the base cabinets over the tile and possible creating gaps between the tile and the base cabinets.

Any suggestions out there?

Richard Mancuso r snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Richard Mancuso

Richard,

This is one of those deals where you can do whatever you want. We do it both ways. Many times we are installing tile in a remodel situation where the cabs are already in place, so we tile up to them. Mask off the cabinets to protect from mastic and grout. Another way that I have done it is to lay out where the cabinets will be, and tile just past that line, then set the cabinets on the tile with shims at the wall and the toe kick and side panels on the tile. Due to the variations in the tile, this usually requires the additional step of adding shoe mold. Either way is fine. If you plan on redoing your cabinets in the future, tile all the way to the wall and you can change them any way you want, but few people install cabs with the intention of changing them.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I wondered the same thing when I put ceramic tile in our bathroom a while back, along with new cabinets at the same time. I decided to tile all the way, then install the cabinets. I felt that it would make it somewhat easier if I ever had to remove one cabinet, i.e., I could slide it out across the floor.

Bu tthen when I installed new kitchen cabinets, and Pergo flooring, I installed the cabinets first (on the subfloor) then installed the Pergo up to the cabinets. So if I ever need to remove one cabinet for any reason, it'll be a problem.

As someone else mentioned, I think you can do whatever you prefer, for whatever reason suits you. I don't think there's a right or wrong method.

On the last house we built, we tiled AFTER the cabinets were in. Actually, my wife (Master Tiler) decided to go with 3" tile 'baseboards' in the tiled rooms and we cut and applied tile in the "Toe Kick" area of the new cabinets too. Looked great and saved some $$ not wasting tile under cabinets.

We're halfway thru building our next home and we're doing the same here.

Reply to
Rudy

"Rudy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.lynx.bc.ca:

And what do you do when you get to the dishwasher? Feet behind the tile?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Usual practice is to install cabinets first, tile up to them. Probably do a tile kick. Tile fridge and stove areas. You may want to tile under dishwasher to make it easy to slide out ... most people don't bother ... if you do, make sure to measure the height carefully first.

No reason not to tile complete floor first .. your house, your call.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Can do. Or if there's enough height, you can tile under it. No big deal either way.

Ken

Reply to
bambam