Installing additional natural gas valve to main branch/ any issues?

I am getting ready to install an additional gas line outside my house for m y grill, and in order to do this I have to shut off the main at the meter. I have done this in the past for other work and have found it to be inconve nient because I always have to re-lite the pilot on the water heater. To avoid this in the future, I want to install an intermediate shut off val ve on my 3/4" line ( after the furnace and water heater, but before my gas dryer, stove, and grill) so I can still do work adding any future branch li nes without having to shut off at the meter.
Any issues doing this? My concern was if adding a valve would cause the gas flow to be restricted to the dryer, stove, and grill . I was told to get a "full port" gas valve. Also is it common to add intermediate valves on the main branch line?
On Friday, October 25, 2013 10:14:32 AM UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:

. I have done this in the past for other work and have found it to be incon venient because I always have to re-lite the pilot on the water heater.

s dryer, stove, and grill) so I can still do work adding any future branch lines without having to shut off at the meter.

a "full port" gas valve.

I don't see any problem with adding valves as you see fit to segment it the way you want. I don't think you need anything special, just a ball valve rated for gas, which isn't going to have any significant effect on cutting down the flow.
On Friday, October 25, 2013 12:10:05 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

and in order to do this I have to shut off the main at the meter. I have d one this in the past for other work and have found it to be inconvenient be cause I always have to re-lite the pilot on the water heater. > > To avoid this in the future, I want to install an intermediate shut off valve on my 3/4" line ( after the furnace and water heater, but before my gas dryer, st ove, and grill) so I can still do work adding any future branch lines witho ut having to shut off at the meter. > > > > Any issues doing this? My conce rn was if adding a valve would cause the gas flow to be restricted to the d ryer, stove, and grill . I was told to get a "full port" gas valve. > > Als o is it common to add intermediate valves on the main branch line? I don't see any problem with adding valves as you see fit to segment it the way you want. I don't think you need anything special, just a ball valve rated for gas, which isn't going to have any significant effect on cutting down the flow. Are you allowed to use regular ball valves for gas? I saw them in Lowes and HD and it says rated for Water, Oil and Gas, but I thought you could only use a dedicated gas valve for gas.
On 10/25/2013 12:16 PM, Mikepier wrote:

Check your local code. They are allowed in at least some locations.
The gas also refers to other gasses. In industrial applications you can find nitrogen, oxygen, argon, etc., often at high pressures.
On Friday, October 25, 2013 12:16:30 PM UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:

l, and in order to do this I have to shut off the main at the meter. I have done this in the past for other work and have found it to be inconvenient because I always have to re-lite the pilot on the water heater. > > To avoi d this in the future, I want to install an intermediate shut off valve on m y 3/4" line ( after the furnace and water heater, but before my gas dryer, stove, and grill) so I can still do work adding any future branch lines wit hout having to shut off at the meter. > > > > Any issues doing this? My con cern was if adding a valve would cause the gas flow to be restricted to the dryer, stove, and grill . I was told to get a "full port" gas valve. > > A lso is it common to add intermediate valves on the main branch line? I don' t see any problem with adding valves as you see fit to segment it the way y ou want. I don't think you need anything special, just a ball valve rated f or gas, which isn't going to have any significant effect on cutting down th e flow.

y use a dedicated gas valve for gas.
I guess that depends on what you mean by "regular ball valve". If it says it's rated for gas, then I'd say that means it's rated for gas. I see new installs of gas here that passes code and the valves look just like ones they sell in HD. It would be pretty irresponsible to be selling valves labeled for gas at HD that aren't suitable for NG. They are selling the pipe, WH, appliances, etc. that people are using with gas.