Installing a window air conditioning unit sideways

Hello All,
I live on the basement/first floor level and it turns out i have a horizontally oriented window that i can slide open/shut. I wanted to get a window air conditioning unit like http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId 5391-... but I wasn't sure if it would work if i ended up having to install it on it's side. That's the only way it'd fit with the dimensions of my window.
Does anyone know if the installation of the unit on it's side would effect it working?
Thanks! -Sam
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't do it. If , for no other reason, the shockmounts for the compressor will be in the wrong position. The water running off the condensor will miss the pool and the drain entirely, and the whole thing will look funny.
Always mount it as per manufacturer's instructions...
Andy
There are 2 types of A/C. One, like you are considering, for installation in double hung windows (the window slides up/down) and the other for installation in slider windows (like your window).
Get the one designed for your window.
Ask the people where you are looking for an A/C unit made to fit in your window. -- PDQ
--
| Hello All, | | I live on the basement/first floor level and it turns out i have a | horizontally oriented window that i can slide open/shut. I wanted to | get a window air conditioning unit like | http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=205391-... | but I wasn't sure if it would work if i ended up having to install it | on it's side. That's the only way it'd fit with the dimensions of my | window. | | Does anyone know if the installation of the unit on it's side would | effect it working? | | Thanks! | -Sam|
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Definitely don't install it on its side. However, they do make units for windows that slide sideways. Try Lowes item # 89279?
If the window slides open far enough, you might put in a conventional one with a piece of plywood above it to fill the gap. If you go for this option, you may need to add some brackets so that the full weight of the air conditioner isn't sitting on the sliding part of the window. This may be cheaper, since you have far more units to choose from.
On 31 May 2006 02:13:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yep, it would screw up. If you want an ac, I'd suggest a casement unit or find a narrow one and build a frame to fill the opening's top.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sure will and you will be buying a new unit. Return what you have and get what you need.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit