Installing a Window Air Conditioner into a Wide Window

What's the best way to install a window air unit into a 42" window in a vintage apartment? Should I get some plywood pieces cut to fill the gap between the unit and the window pane, or is there some other way that is better?
Thanks.

Probably need more info for folks to reply.
If it falls, where will it go, aka, what will it hit? Wood frame, metal frame? If it's of any size and the window is in in poor shape could it pull the window out? Maybe ask the super for CYA?

Is that 42" wide? The slide outs on the AC are not big enough? I'd use 1/2" plywood as filler.

I used 1" foil covered foam board over a couple 1X8 boards on each end. Don't forget to seal the top of the window that is open.
vxla wrote:

I'd recommend a 1/2 - 3/4" plywood sheet with a hole cut out for the AC unit - not boards on either side, but one large board with a hole for the machine. Bolt the AC unit to the board then screw the board to the window frame.
Window AC units are relatively heavy and they vibrate. Put in braces and brace the braces. Any flimsiness will cause failure - a very loud and exciting failure. While you're asleep. That can't easily be fixed, or even comprehended, while in your nightshirt.
I commend you for the project. We did something similar and dropped the electric bill from $200/month (back when $200/month was a lot of money) to the current $60/month.
I've seen people use plywood, drywall, cardboard, stained glass, and duct tape.
Have you considered a permanent location in the wall, below or to the side of the window? Window AC units make a fabulous entry point for burglars.

Real men of genius.