Installing a Window A/C Unit Outside a Shed

I have a shed with extremely small windows that I use mostly for storage, but I do have a small area with a work-bench, etc. I also have a window-mount air-conditioner that I received from a friend basically free (on a trade). The unit is probably old, but my friend said it hadn't been used much. This is not an evaporative cooler, by the way. It's a regular, 220-Volt air conditioner.

I'm planning on building a stand for it (out of treated lumber) next to an outside wall of the shed and even putting a little roof over it. Then I'll route the air through the wall of the shed using a round air duct(s) -- Maybe use an 8 or 10-inch duct(s), I guess.

I'm a complete novice with A/C and the front bezel is missing from the air-conditioner, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. I assume that the top area of the unit intakes air and the bottom outputs air. So, I'm wondering if I need two separate ducts or if I can simply run everything through one duct? If I use two separate ducts, does it matter if the ducts are physically close together inside the shed? Could I simply set it up to suck air from outside the shed and then open a window?

The air conditioner is much, much larger than what I actually need. It's rated at 28000 BTU and the shed is about 300 square feet with open rafters and very little insulation and 4 small air vents in the roof. I don't use the shed a lot, maybe 20 or 30 hours a year. So, the electric bill isn't an issue. In the hot weather, like we're having now though, the shed gets close to 100 degrees, So, I would like to be able to cool it and cool it off fast when I do need to do a small project, etc.

I'm guessing I'll have to go down to the local sheet-metal shop and have something fabricated, but I'm wondering if I might be able to simply make something out of canvas and PVC pipe, for instance. The A/ C unit will be behind the shed where it doesn't show, so it doesn't matter if the setup looks a little bit kludgy.

Reply to
mg

Why not just cut a window for the unit?

Reply to
Terry

Un-B-Fucking-Lievable

Reply to
Hate-Me

Somebody's a trollin or just really fuquering dumb. Anybody knows that all you need is cardboard, duct tape, bailing wire and bubble gum. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You need to hire an engineer and a architect for a project of that magnitude.

Reply to
ftwhd

That's an unusual approach but I think it would work if you use 2 separate ducts similar in size to the inlet and outlet areas of the unit and make them reasonably short. I am not going to address the efficiency, safety, practicality, adviseability, or other aspects of your idea.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Thanks Don.

In doing some Google searching, I found this old post:

---------------------------------------------------------------- "Adding ducts to an AC window unit . . . if you will get with G/E and Whirlpool and you will find out they have a duct adaptor kits to tie on to window units on 16K, 24K , and 29k window units to use duct work on the units to use in commercial applications. Also even Sears has a adapter kit for the 24K & 29K window unit to be put on trailor houses. Now of course my sheet metal man can make them cheaper than buying them . . . about

5 years ago I did a job with 3 G/E 29K window units and did have to order the duct kits to install them and get the pattern for my sheetmetal man to look at and start making our own duct adaptor kits. . ."

So, it does look like this sort of thing has been done before.

Reply to
mg

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
safemale

DONT POST ON HVAC The statements and comments will be of NO help to you at all. ASHRAE has a special section entirely devoted to unit conversions for TOOL sheds and will give you free and expert ADVICE

Reply to
Telstra