Installing a STRONG shelf on garage wall

Page 2 of 2
Here's one guy's solution, I'd do it a little different but you'll get the idea, partial board for strong shelves? No way.... they will sag even when braced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfzU-WhV1A

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 08:48:29 -0700, Daniel Prince

Depending on the use, particle board may be ideal, or if you have concentrated weight, it will have dips in it. The stuff is cheap, but very flexible compared to other materials.

Daniel Prince wrote:
Here's one guy's solution, I'd do it a little different but you'll get the idea, partial board for strong shelves? No way.... they will sag even when braced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfzU-WhV1A

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 18:02:46 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy

That works. 2x2s would do it if he's not storing lead acid batteries on them. More "elbow" space and better looking. I was thinking of making one set, but then I watched the video every times you posted, and decided making 3 was too much work. Besides, he was putting the shelves in the same spot every time. Didn't make much sense.
Vic Smith wrote:

I'm blaming it on the NSA, I kept getting a message the reply wouldn't send... so I tried it again... and again.
I just checked the NSA web site, and they admit to jamming your email feed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
NxK_wslqo They say that TSA was responsible. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

I'm blaming it on the NSA, I kept getting a message the reply wouldn't send... so I tried it again... and again.

Was does frost have to do with having a basement or not?
... Snip...

My understanding is that in areas that have frost, footings have to go four feet or more underground. Builders often decide that if they have to dig that deep, they might as well dig a little deeper and have a basement they can use for water heaters, furnaces, oil tanks, water filters, water softners, electrical panels, pipe, ductwork and wire runs etc.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

While that does have a ring of truth, it is probably more likely that the water table is low enough that if we dig a hole it will stay dry. Once you get the cellar hole dug you still have to dig a little deeper around the perimeter and pour a footing.

To be more precise, footings have to be placed below the frost line. In many areas, it is indeed 4 feet. In some areas it's less, in some it's much more.
https://www.decks.com/deckbuilding/Deck_Footing_Frost_Depth_Map

To be more precise, the person(s) who contracted the building to be built will decide whether a basement should be added, assuming that there are no other factors the would prevent it.
In your OP you said "I live in an frost-free area so I do not have a basement"
I don't know the real reason as to why you don't have a basement, but it's not because you live in a frost free area. In other words, there are lots of houses in frost free areas that have basements for all the reasons you mentioned above, plus many more.
Good luck with your shelf project.