Installing a GE dishwasher - GSD4940, extra hoses ???

Hi, I'm trying to install a used dishwasher . We have the electrical and hot water hooked up just fine, but ...
There is a small white tank at the back/bottom of the unit. From the right side (facing the back), comes a cone-shaped outlet, where the drain hose attaches. It's cone-shaped so as to fit anywhere between 3/4" and 1" tubing.
From the other side of that box/tank, comes another hose, which bends 90 degrees and ... ends. This hose is approximately 1" in diameter on one end, and tapers out (larger) where it ends.
A few inches away from that hose's end, is another hole, 1 1/8" in diameter, which attaches to (it looks like) another small tank, at the very bottom of the shell.
So - we *think* that these two holes go together, and serve as an overflow system if the drain hose is too small (3/4") or backed up.
The above description (hope it's clear enough) doesn't look at all like the sketch on GE's website, and the folks on the GE helpline could only look at their own sketch. We suspect that it's either a mislabeled unit, or has been modified.
Can anyone verify that these holes go together? Or, know the purpose of this system, and suggest a fix (capping them off?) ?
We also have photos, if they could help.
Many thanks!
Hi, I'm trying to install a used dishwasher . We have the electrical and hot water hooked up just fine, but ...
There is a small white tank at the back/bottom of the unit. From the right side (facing the back), comes a cone-shaped outlet, where the drain hose attaches. It's cone-shaped so as to fit anywhere between 3/4" and 1" tubing.
From the other side of that box/tank, comes another hose, which bends 90 degrees and ... ends. This hose is approximately 1" in diameter on one end, and tapers out (larger) where it ends.
A few inches away from that hose's end, is another hole, 1 1/8" in diameter, which attaches to (it looks like) another small tank, at the very bottom of the shell.
So - we *think* that these two holes go together, and serve as an overflow system if the drain hose is too small (3/4") or backed up.
The above description (hope it's clear enough) doesn't look at all like the sketch on GE's website, and the folks on the GE helpline could only look at their own sketch. We suspect that it's either a mislabeled unit, or has been modified.
Can anyone verify that these holes go together? Or, know the purpose of this system, and suggest a fix (capping them off?) ?
We also have photos, if they could help.
Many thanks!
JSH

Hi,
This posting looks familier ;)

That is part of the full model#.

Sure, post them!

*Sounds* more like something is missing....any wires hanging also??
This -may- help.....
http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/newpics/gedishdrainhelp3.jpg
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com
Thanks for all of your attention!
Here's the pic of mine: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/critclimbs/detail?.dir=/954c&.dnm 95.jpg
So, all I'm missing is the auxillary pump / boost drain assembly? Sure glad I didn't just plug the two ends together ...
JSH
Hi,

Good pic!! :)

That appears to be what is missing yes... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&Nw1037 Pump, drain boost.

For sure!!
Jeff (or anyone else) -
This

just came in the mail today. Now ... I need to power it.
On the pump, there are two "tabs", labeled L and N, which seem to be asking for corresponding plugs (but maybe I'm hallucinating). Under the DW, there is a red and a red/white wire, both cut off. I assume these all need connected, but ... which ones to which, and how? Is there something I can grab at Home Despondent?
Thanks (again!) JSH

Hello,
The red goes to the "L" and the red/white goes to the "N". Need push on spade terminals on the wire ends...usually 1/4". Like these....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N21673 Quick disconnect 16 - 14 wire .250 (1/4) female tab.
Most hardware stores will carry them....or even Radio Shack.

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A million thanks, Jeff.
JSH (off to make lasagna)
-doh! spoke too soon (of course).
It went through its cycle and sounded fine ... until I opened it upon the "Clean" signal. The rinse water has not drained out. I had watched it drain water (through the airgap) several times during the cycle, so it's capable of pumping it out.
So ... help (again)?
Thanks, JSH (no lasagna yet)

Hello,
Install ok?....no collapsing hose once it gets warm/hot from the water? Not over filling, water level should be just under the heating element. Some common GE d/w draining problem areas....
http://www.applianceaid.com/gedishdrain.html http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html#drain
jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

Nope, no big explosions ;). Used new hoses to install it.

I had read thru these last night ... most of them seem to address the problem of an older d/w that never drains, due to clogs somewhere in the system, or a bad part.
Mine is relatively new - used for maybe a year - and *does* drain at various times in the cycle (I watched it thru the airgap and disposal - a nice strong gush of water) so it doesn't seem likely that it's clogged. Both screens inside the tub look perfectly clear.
Put it thru the rinse/hold cycle later, to try that. It drained most of the water out, then stopped draining (but it sounded like a motor was still running), then clicked off. Still had water in the tub - I can't remember whether it was above the heating elements or not.
JSH, clueless still
wrote

Hi,
They will work fine :) The ones we use are for 14, 16 and 18 gauge wire.

Some times something will collapse ( rubber part of a hose or hose end ) and quit draining once some hot water has passed through and softened up the hose.
Intermittant or no power to the drain solenoid at the end of the cycle? Control forgetting to send power at the end of the cycle for this? Not draining 100% and some water remians after each drain out and at the end of the cycle we are full or near full with water left over. Would have to be investigated closely to see what is or is not happening through the cycle and to the end/last part of it.

But received in pieces (at least missing some). Why did the previous owners get rid of it, maybe the same problem and were stumped too?
Both the flapper valve in the exit port of the auxiliary pump your replaced and a sticking plunger assembly in the self cleaning filter
http://www.applianceaid.com/pictools/gedishcheckvalve2.jpg ) can produce the symptoms you have. Since a new flapper valve probably came with the new pump, I would suggested you look for a properly operating plunger in the self cleaning filter.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+dishwasher
=~~~~~~

Definitely a possibility.

I'll do that tomorrow or so.
I ran the rinse cycle again while watching the drain hoses - no collapsing. Pulled the drain hose off & ran water straight from the faucet into that at full blast, no problem => no clog downstream of the dishwasher. Poked around a bit, could find no obvious clogs in various tubes.
So, if it's not the plunger, it's time to call in a GE guy, I'd guess. At least I've got a few things ruled out!
JSH, about to cry uncle :(
oh - one more possibly irrelevant thing - while getting the connecters at Home Despot I couldn't remember the gauge of the wires in the unit, so I bought 14-gauge. Turns out the wires I had to connect to, are 18-gauge.
JSH

Hi Julie, There should be an auxillery pump on that model. It connects to the hose from the sump (at the bottom of the unit) to the collection chamber (the box in the back center of the unit) The pump is an electric pump with 2 wires attatched. If it is missing the part # is WB19X59. good luck and let us know how you make out.
JoeA