Installing a gas dryer

The connection for the gas input to the dryer is a 3/8" pipe with male threads. The instructions say to "use an elbow and a 3/8" flare x 3/8" NPT adapter fitting between the flexible gas connector and the dryer gas pipe, as needed to avoid kinking."

The inside diameter of the dryer gas pipe is 1/2". But due to wall thickness, the inside diameter of the male end of the elbow is only

3/8". This means that the area into the elbow is only 9/16 or 56% of the dryer's input pipe. My concern is that the elbow will restrict the flow of gas and increase drying times or have some other adverse effects.

Is this a legitimate concern? Are there other types of elbows with thinner walls? (I'm using a 90-degree street ell.)

Thanks for your comments.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

The connection for the gas input to the dryer is a 3/8" pipe with male threads. The instructions say to "use an elbow and a 3/8" flare x 3/8" NPT adapter fitting between the flexible gas connector and the dryer gas pipe, as needed to avoid kinking."

The inside diameter of the dryer gas pipe is 1/2". But due to wall thickness, the inside diameter of the male end of the elbow is only

3/8". This means that the area into the elbow is only 9/16 or 56% of the dryer's input pipe. My concern is that the elbow will restrict the flow of gas and increase drying times or have some other adverse effects.

Is this a legitimate concern? Are there other types of elbows with thinner walls? (I'm using a 90-degree, iron, street ell.)

Thanks for your comments.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

I wouldn't be concerned. You should get plenty of flow. The orifice in the burner is probably something like 1/16th". Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Thanks very comforting. Thanks.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

no, actually the dryer would run fine on a 3/8 line.

Steve Barker

No. If you look at a Fisher or Bunsen burner (chemistry lab), you'll see that the gas supply is a pinhole. Focus concern testing for leaks. Keep the flex gas line from getting kinked or damaged.

Reply to
Phisherman