installing a fiberglass bathtub

Hi I am remodelling a bathroom and installing a 30inch by 60inch fiberglass tub and surround, two piece unit. The tub has two small adjustable bolts in the inside and just the 60inch edge on the near side that contacts the floor. My question is I have read some place about a bed of mortar that the tub should sit on. Is this necessary or could I use expandable foam? Better yet is there a good pictured doit web site?
drop} snipped-for-privacy@uvic.ca wrote:

did your tub come with installation instructions? go by them if in doubt. some require mortar, some don't. definitely don't use expanding foam as it could push your tub up. i know plumbers who use setting type drywall joint compound, also known as "hot mud". easy sand 90 is one brand. pretty simple...just blob some mud on the floor and set your tub.
i put in a fg tub some years back, the directions didn't mention ay mortar bed, and i didn't put one in. the thing holds together well; when you're standing in it, there's nothing underneath you. just you, fiberglass, air, floor. i had doubts about it as well but it seems ok.