Installing a Fence

Hi all,

I was wondering if you might know what questions one should ask when getting estimates for having a 6ft (high) wood fence installed? This fence will be installed the whole width at the back of my lot. Privacy fence.

I know to ask about whether a fence contractor is licensed and bonded. However, I'm unsure what else I should be asking?

Any ideas?

Thank-you, Meg

Reply to
MGPuttPutt

Check with the town building/zone dep't to see if this fence (height esp) is allowed. They may even have a list of contractors licensed to work in your town.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Does the contractor have workman's compensation coverage for their employees? Will everyone on the job site be an employee of the contractor?

Is a permit required for this job? Who is responsible for getting the permit issued?

What are the materials that will be used? How will the fence posts be installed? What is the warranty on the fence? Will the fence be stained or painted? If not, should I paint it? What kind of primer and paint should I use?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

And of course, be absolutely certain where your property line is. If not 100% certain, now would be a good time to get it surveyed. You also need to decide if you want to put the fence right on the property line and possibly share it with a neighbor, or set it back six inchs so that it's only on your property.

Reply to
trader4

You should go to your town or municipality and homeowners association if applicable to determine what zoning laws and restrictions or covenents there may be concerning fences.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

In addition to the other good advice, you need to make sure that the GC contacts the utility companies before he starts digging holes, especially with a power auger.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes