Installing a fence....

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Whether or not it is attractive is not the point I was trying to make. Any fence attracts the "eye". That is, it is among the first things noticed when you look at a property whether positive or negative. This cannot be denied.

A poorly designed and installed fence does not add value. A nice fence may add value for some if it makes the property more useful and is well constructed. That is my reasoning for doing a nice job or hiring someone who will. Perhaps this makes my meaning more clear.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Speaking of which, i'm currently on the fence (pun semi-intended) about whether to go with wood (sounds like maintenance) or chainlink (less attractive, but can be covered up with vines and foliage as stated).

Hell if we had time to do this i'd just plant a thick hedge all the way around the yard and let it get tall, but unfortunately we do not have the time for that.

We really liked the black pvc-coated steel fences we've seen advertised (they resemble wrought iron in appearance). They would go very well with the motif of the house and are IMHO the nicest looking. Unfortunately we can't seem to find anyone that will put them in, or put in one taller than 3 feet. There are also the annodized box-steel type (with the crimped tops) that i see around a lot of cemetaries that I think would be gorgeous, but I don't know if those are really classified as "wrought iron" or just "steel fence".

Saturday the Borg comes over to measure up and give us estimates. Maybe we'll find out which is cheaper (chainlink or wood) and i don't have my heart set on having them do it, this is just an estimate.

thx

Reply to
phaeton

| We really liked the black pvc-coated steel fences we've seen = advertised | (they resemble wrought iron in appearance). They would go very well | with the motif of the house and are IMHO the nicest looking. | Unfortunately we can't seem to find anyone that will put them in, or | put in one taller than 3 feet. There are also the annodized box-steel | type (with the crimped tops) that i see around a lot of cemetaries = that | I think would be gorgeous, but I don't know if those are really | classified as "wrought iron" or just "steel fence". |

If you really want "wrought iron", look here:=20

They got some really good stuff here.=20

--=20 PDQ

--

Reply to
PDQ

Those are nice... thanks.

probably beyond my price range, especially since I'd have to have someone install it.

Reply to
phaeton

My two cents:

If you're counting on the fence to hold dogs in, you should consider that some dogs love to dig and will go under the fence, rather than over it.

If it were my fence, I'd make it is one of the vinyl ones that don't need painting and aren't subjet to rot.

In addition to checking local ordinances on where fences can go, how high, etc, also make absolutely sure you know where your property line is before you put the fence up

Reply to
trader4

Unfortunately, some communities have rules about what type of fence you can put on your property... It sucks... Every house looks alike, no originality...

Reply to
Grumman-581

I did a similar thing... I hammered some 3/4" square steel tubing in the ground as posts and then put some insulators on them... The posts are only about 30" high and I run two wires -- one low enough that he can't crawl under it, the other one about 8-9" above that, pretty much at nose level... I'm able to keep him in certain area of the yard so that he doesn't lay landmines all over everywhere in addition to keeping him away from the cable internet line so it doesn't get chewed up... He's pretty lazy (half German Shepherd and half Saint Bernard) so he's either too lazy to jump over it or too stupid...

Previous dogs I had would chew through the wooden fences... They would dig down a bit until they hit the clay and couldn't dig any further and then start eating a hole through the fence... They would go out, but come back... My current dog is so stupid he can't find his way back home... He's also so friendly that is kind of like, "Smile at me, I'm your's"...

I prefer to run the CATV and phone lines through Schedule-40 PVC pipe so that if I'm eventually digging around in that area, I might notice it before actually cutting the line... Schedule-20, doesn't work... With one swipe of my post hole digger, I went through 3 pieces of Schedule-20 that was used for my sprinkler system that all crossed exactly where I was wanting to put a fence post...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Running a concrete strip along the bottom of the fence will stop many of the dogs... It also helps prevent dirt getting in contact with the bottom of the wooden fence and keeps the bottoms from rotting out as quickly... Some people just bury some chicken wire along the edge of the fence...

Assuming your dog doesn't like to chew on the plastic... My dog *loves* PVC pipe... If you are even a mediocre welder, it's not that difficult to weld up your own metal fence... When you buy the metal at the steel supply stores in the 20 ft lengths, the 1/2" solid bar stock is not that much more than the 1/2" square tubing that is around 16-gauge... The horizonal pieces of the fence will be at least 3/4"... Anything larger than 3/4" will definitely be square tubing, not bar stock... Posts will be 1.5 or 2 inches and also square tubing...

Reply to
Grumman-581